Bench for daughter I'm just about done with
Hi kids- 

Here's a bench I'm just about done with for our oldest daughter.  Luckily, I had some cherry laying around which I mistakenly thought was mahogany, so it didn't cost me a thing.  Well, the clips to fasten the top were $6 for 2 packages, so technically it wasn't free 
Smile

She's partial to the Danish design (you might recall the dresser I made for her last year).  I lightened the apron under the top a bit.  The lower shelf is dovetailed into the sides and the upper aprons likewise are attached via sliding dovetails to the side.  In the middle of the upper aprons there's a cross brace that dovetailed too.

It isn't assembled yet and you can see I still have some some sanding to do to erase the saw marks.  Then it'll be Danish oil and a few coats of poly.

However I might add a center support under the shelf to prevent it from sagging.  The jury's still out on that one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
Can we safely assume that you are nearly done with the bench and not nearly done with your daughter?
Big Grin   (I would have left off the "with" to eliminate any confusion.)

Looks nice.  What finish will you apply?  How did you attach the top?   I see the sliding dovetails at that spreader.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I had the same first thought as Cooler.  But then why would you build something for someone you're almost done with?  

Anyway, nice work.  I'm sure the daughter you likely aren't done with will love it.  

John
(03-01-2021, 09:24 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: ...

However I might add a center support under the shelf to prevent it from sagging.  The jury's still out on that one.

Looks great.

I'd put a small block in the center of the bottom shelf for support.

You won't even see it.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(03-01-2021, 10:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can we safely assume that you are nearly done with the bench and not nearly done with your daughter?

Looks nice.  What finish will you apply?  How did you attach the top?   I see the sliding dovetails at that spreader.

HA!

Yes we're done with our daughter!!!!  Good one!
Dumber than I appear
(03-01-2021, 11:22 AM)barnowl Wrote: Looks great.

I'd put a small block in the center of the bottom shelf for support.

You won't even see it.

Barn?

Right, it would be hardly visible.
Dumber than I appear
(03-01-2021, 10:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can we safely assume that you are nearly done with the bench and not nearly done with your daughter?

Cooler?

I haven't applied the top.  I'll do it with the clips from Woodcraft  (Funny story....ask Barn about my adventure getting to the local Woodcraft.....which has moved since I last visited 6 years ago!)

It'll be Danish oil and a few coats of poly.
Dumber than I appear
Wink 
Very nice. I am partial to cherry mahogany. [Image: wink.png]   I am curious as to how/where you plan to fit a support under the shelf.
I see what you guys are talking about.  The skirts are much shallower than in the original.

A center divider would look fine in my opinion and would add all the support that could possibly be used.  Put a couple of baskets on each side and it will look like it was designed for storage.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Every parent is just about done with their kids many times, it happens.