Technical beginner, how to make a small support horizontal and stable?
I made a small project before, and my biggest problem was to make a small support stable by then, it just feel I didn't do it wrong.

I've searched the past days for videos on how to make a support stable (not woobling/rocking) but all I've seen so far are more technical details and creative ideas. How to execute them and keep elements ortogonal or with the same height is a different story.

For example I'm trying to assemble the following support:

It's basically 4 columns and a small table.
[Image: 1615130200257-png.425156]

I used the yellow tool to make sure the column and the table are ortogonal. But tested and the table is not exactly horizontal.
And I'm not sure how do I place the other 3 columns in a way that the table stay horizontal, and all have the same height (it depends on screwing precision I believe).

Is there a video on how to do something simple like this properly?

Thank you in advance for any help.

[Image: 1615130261138-png.425157]
(03-07-2021, 10:26 AM)ng80092a Wrote: I've searched the past days for videos on how to make a support stable (not woobling/rocking) but all I've seen so far are more technical details and creative ideas. How to execute them and keep elements ortogonal or with the same height is a different story.

I used the yellow tool to make sure the column and the table are ortogonal. But tested and the table is not exactly horizontal.
And I'm not sure how do I place the other 3 columns in a way that the table stay horizontal, and all have the same height (it depends on screwing precision I believe).

I had to look up 'ortogonal' and it seems to be the Spanish spelling of orthogonal - meaning 'at right angles'.

Here is a video showing one way to make a chair seat level and the chair not rocking or wobbling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq94qo7WbEw

This is how I do it and it works very well. I have leveled chairs and tables this way. Perhaps it will work for your project...? Note: the fellow in the video us using the big yellow square only for the bubble level in one leg.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
Thanks Mike,

I had that video saved. Is that how wood workers do it? You join the pieces in right angles and do the level in the end?
(03-07-2021, 02:48 PM)ng80092a Wrote: Thanks Mike,

I had that video saved. Is that how wood workers do it? You join the pieces in right angles and do the level in the end?

Yes, woodworkers use this method. It is a good way to level a table or a chair. The legs do not need to be attached at 90° to the chair seat or the table top. I cannot tell from your pictures what it is that you are building. It is possible that your design and the materials you are using might need a different solution.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
Several things can help that assembly go together straight and square. It boils down to creating a couple of extra pair of hands to hold everything while trying to assemble your table.s
1. I would include some type of mechanical locating for the horizontal part of your assembly along the legs. Biscuits, dowels, loose tenons, etc can be used depending on what tools you have or make and are comfortable using. Accuracy placing the mechanical fasteners will also help with keeping the legs an equal distance from your horizontal support which should help with any wobble issues.
2. A second horizontal support sized the same as the one you are trying to install on the legs can be clamped high or low on the legs before trying to install the permanent horizontal support. Clamping it up on a level surface should get rid of any table wobble and using measured marks and a small square will locate the horizontal part square and true.
3. Small fat L shaped clamping supports can be made from 3/4 plywood and used with clamps to registrar the horizontal table to the legs. This would require two clamps per leg to do but you could split the glue up to two legs at a time.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!