Looking at some barn wood.
Quote:I was talking to a guy that has some barn wood for sale. He has 7 pieces 7’ long, 12” wide and 3.5” thick. He said they are old, dry with no rot or cracks. He thinks they are oak or hickory. He wants around $100 for all of it. If it looks good I will buy it. That should keep me busy on the new lathe for a little while.
That will likely be some HARD wood.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(03-05-2021, 01:07 PM)clovishound Wrote: That will likely be some HARD wood.

Depending, might be loaded with grit, too.  Be prepared to sharpen, not just hone.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
~60 cent/BF for oak or hickory (possibly old growth) sounds like a steal.

Those board dimensions could make it easy to build a nice woodworking bench.

Some people have reported that boards from the wrong spot in a barn could have been absorbing odors for a long time.

The latest generation of metal detectors for woodworkers have gotten pretty good.

3"x3" spindles are a common blank size for pepper mills.

3.5" diameter carvers mallet are a useful size.

As others have pointed out, there can be sand and other abrasives worn into the grain of the wood. There are lots of ways of dealing with that depending on what you want to make out of the wood.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-05-2021, 10:31 PM)iclark Wrote: ~60 cent/BF for oak or hickory (possibly old growth) sounds like a steal.

Those board dimensions could make it easy to build a nice woodworking bench.

Some people have reported that boards from the wrong spot in a barn could have been absorbing odors for a long time.

The latest generation of metal detectors for woodworkers have gotten pretty good.

3"x3" spindles are a common blank size for pepper mills.

3.5" diameter carvers mallet are a useful size.

As others have pointed out, there can be sand and other abrasives worn into the grain of the wood. There are lots of ways of dealing with that depending on what you want to make out of the wood.

I would make a lot of different things but probably a lot of bowls.
No matter, I would get it, great price and if you don’t use all of it, you may be able to pass it along.

Overall looks to be a great deal
The guy never got back to me. I found another guy selling some wood. It is fresh cut and still wet. I bought one hickory 7” x 9” x 8’ long, two spalted maple 7” x 9” x 8’ long and one cherry 6” x 6” x 8’ long for $110. I started a bowl. This is what the spalted maple looks like.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good Rusty. How is the new lathe working out?
(03-11-2021, 05:09 PM)Transformer Wrote: Looks good Rusty. How is the new lathe working out?

It is working great thanks for asking. Knowing now what I was missing with the rotating head I wish I would have done it sooner. The pendant controller is a great safety feature. I can stay out of the danger zone and if needed shut it down just by bumping it with my hip.
That looks like a nice haul.

Not pushing, but are you aware of the Beads of Courage effort?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.