How to close off a fireplace for tenants
Hi,

We have a place in NC that we're about to rent out April 1.  The chimney guy came by a week ago, climbed up on the roof and looked inside and told us the fireplace shouldn't be used.

I spoke with our property mgr and he's going to have the tenant sign something saying they won't use the fireplace and they'll assume all liability if they do use it and there's a fire.  Good.

However, is there a way (short of screwing the doors closed, which they could unscrew) of closing the fireplace.  I want it so that when we retire down there the doors aren't ruined, so I need to be able to open them up eventually.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
Is there a way to frame/place a sheet of painted hardiboard behind the fireplace screen?
(03-17-2021, 12:24 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Is there a way to frame/place a sheet of painted hardiboard behind the fireplace screen?

Hi Brian,

Yes there probably is, but that wouldn't prevent them from removing it though.
Dumber than I appear
just wondering  --  is repairing or dropping in a liner an option?
Sheetmetal cover inside.  Install into mortar with smacks.     You'll have to drill them out and patch the mortar when you move back in.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(03-17-2021, 10:59 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

We have a place in NC that we're about to rent out April 1.  The chimney guy came by a week ago, climbed up on the roof and looked inside and told us the fireplace shouldn't be used.

I spoke with our property mgr and he's going to have the tenant sign something saying they won't use the fireplace and they'll assume all liability if they do use it and there's a fire.  Good.

However, is there a way (short of screwing the doors closed, which they could unscrew) of closing the fireplace.  I want it so that when we retire down there the doors aren't ruined, so I need to be able to open them up eventually.

I'm not all sure I'd be comfortable with this, were I the landlord.
I would just make sure the lease clearly states that the fireplace is inoperative and shall not be opened for any reason. A tamperproof "lock-out tag" could possibly be installed so guests (whom the tenants are responsible for anyway) who are not knowledgeable of the lease terms would be "knowingly by-passing safety devices" if they used the fireplace. An additional deterrent would be to lock the damper in the closed position. Put a "lock-out tag" on it as well. I don't know how long it's been since the last paint job, but the security deposit will offset the cost because "The ceilings and walls are discolored by wood smoke!"
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Tenants need to know and acknowledge the fireplace cannot be used. Probably should be something your ad for the place that states this.
VH07V  
I wonder if a lot of angst and lost sleep could be avoided by fixing the issue up front?
Personally I would install a horizontal metal bar across the front of the folding doors so they cannot open, then drill and set small one way screws into the rock holding the bar in place. That should block the doors from opening.

You will have to grind the screw heads off to access the fireplace, but that is easy.

Take pictures of the bar blocking the front for proof.