PSA - New Veritas Hining Guide Selling Now
Twi new honing guides are available for order now. The side-clamping honing guide and short blade guides are now available for order.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(04-12-2021, 09:32 PM)cputnam Wrote: Twi new honing guides are available for order now.  The side-clamping honing guide and short blade guides are now available for order.

Hope we get them over here soon, too.
Very nice.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=05M0940

I'm torn. The Veritas Side-Clamping Honing Guide is really what all one "needs" but the Veritas Mk.II Deluxe Honing Guide Set appeals to my OCDness.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=05M0920

And FREE SHIPPING is in effect.
Cool  

Decisions, decisions...
(04-13-2021, 10:33 AM)Cian Wrote: Very nice.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=05M0940

I'm torn. The Veritas Side-Clamping Honing Guide is really what all one "needs" but the Veritas Mk.II Deluxe Honing Guide Set appeals to my OCDness.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=05M0920

And FREE SHIPPING is in effect.
Cool  

Decisions, decisions...

Get the MKII not the side clamping jig if you -

have a skew rebate blade (used with skew reg jig),
have wide blades or chisels (the side clamping jig has a very narrow roller compared to the MKII)
have many blades to do at a time (micro bevel is done without changing the blade position), or
have back bevel to do.

In other words, on a budget, get the side clamping jig; otherwise the more versatile MKII.

With the availability of this side clamping jig and at that kind of price, no reason to buy and modify an eclipse style jig anymore.

The free shipping offer is ridiculous. How could they make money on a $31 order when shipping could cost them $5 or more? Hard to find a more generous shipping offer anywhere else.

Simon
My Veritas side-clamper will be added to the MK II sets...Lately, I've had just enough trouble with the blade slipping (my fault) that a side guide looks attractive for doing plane irons. I'll stick with the MK II chisel guide (also a side-clamper) for chisels. Thus far, my Kell guide has worked for the short irons that I have.

Maybe now I can put the Eclipse clone in the bottom drawer.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(04-13-2021, 04:06 PM)cputnam Wrote: My Veritas side-clamper will be added to the MK II sets...

Better hurry, given it's pandemic time. If the first run is all gone, I think it'll be a while before it can be offered again.

Anyone who can release new products in 2021 and 2022 will be a big winner. I see a pent-up demand for everything. Any new toys for hand tools and power tools will be welcomed and appreciated by woodworkers.

Simon
(04-13-2021, 06:52 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Better hurry, given it's pandemic time. If the first run is all gone, I think it'll be a while before it can be offered again.

Anyone who can release new products in 2021 and 2022 will be a big winner. I see a pent-up demand for everything. Any new toys for hand tools and power tools will be welcomed and appreciated by woodworkers.

Simon

Trying hard not to run out of this one..... but we are certainly holding the release of a ton of other new product right now. 

Some workflows through the shop aren't constrained though - so there will still be a trickle of new items. Our specific issue is staffing now -  we have about 20 machinist/machine shop positions open, which has really impacted our ability to produce.

We are avoiding casual labor to keep "pods" of staff safe during COVID - so that makes it very difficult to flex.

To date - we have not had a single case of work-related transmission in any of our stores or facilities.... and that's a record we'd like to preserve.

Cheers - 

Rob
(04-14-2021, 07:20 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: SNIP>

To date - we have not had a single case of work-related transmission in any of our stores or facilities.... and that's a record we'd like to preserve.

Cheers - 

Rob
Wow! That's a gloat worth boasting about! 

I had my series of vaccine several weeks ago, but, really no change in approach to public socializing. We just get the other social sniffles and coughs, and crud. I think I will reinforce the mask habit, permanently.

Oh, I had to cool off the money that's been burning and ordered the side clamper.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(04-14-2021, 07:20 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Trying hard not to run out of this one..... but we are certainly holding the release of a ton of other new product right now. 

Some workflows through the shop aren't constrained though - so there will still be a trickle of new items. Our specific issue is staffing now -  we have about 20 machinist/machine shop positions open, which has really impacted our ability to produce.

We are avoiding casual labor to keep "pods" of staff safe during COVID - so that makes it very difficult to flex.

Cheers - 

Rob

Fantastic news, Rob, about your safety record and plans to have new products released in a manageable manner. It's true that customers will feel disappointed if you have only a handful of quantity available at launch time, and tell people to wait for another 5 months before new stock is back.

Please do release as many new products (for power tools too) as you can......Including me, many woodworkers need new toys to survive the lockdown!
Big Grin  At least for the people I spoke to, shortage, not money, is their main issue right now.

Simon
(04-13-2021, 04:06 PM)cputnam Wrote: My Veritas side-clamper will be added to the MK II sets...Lately, I've had just enough trouble with the blade slipping (my fault) that a side guide looks attractive for doing plane irons.  I'll stick with the MK II chisel guide (also a side-clamper) for chisels.  Thus far, my Kell guide has worked for the short irons that I have.

Maybe now I can put the Eclipse clone in the bottom drawer.

Thanks for that. I was curious how one would opt for the new side-clamping guide (essentialy a worthwhile improvement over an Eclipse) in light of the MkII.  I figure the MkII would win out if one needs to sharpen skewed blades as well as blades lacking parallel sides.