Stack Dado Sharpening
Hi Guys,

Any recommendations to send a Freud dado blade set out for sharpening. I asked around where I live and no-one had any good places. 

Thanks

Mike
I send all my blades to Forrest. They sharped all makes of blades.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I usually use 3B Saw and Tool (did my Freud SD508 set twice now) in Oakpark, IL. But Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY and our Scott Sharpening Servioce In Phoenix AZ both get rave reviews. I've used Dynamic Saw (not for a stacked dado) and they are excellent. Scott is a member here and is highly recommended. I'd pick the closest with shipping charges being as high as they are.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-05-2021, 05:19 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I usually use 3B Saw and Tool (did my Freud SD508 set twice now) in Oakpark, IL...

Good to know. Thanks for that.
I have never had mine sharpened, but I am wondering if only sharpening the outer blades is essential.  The other blades' do not show up as ragged wood.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-05-2021, 11:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have never had mine sharpened...

Same here to be honest, but the last few times I've used my primary combo blade it wasnt as easy to push the material through.  With that said, I do have a handful of extra new blades I've picked up over the years so unless my wwing takes a huge uptick of my time (not yet retired so possibly) I may never really need to sharpen any of my saw blades. 
Rolleyes
I take mine to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo, NY.  Always great service at very fair prices.  

Dado stacks get dull just like any other blade; the chippers, too.  Mine cut so much better after having it sharpened.  

John
(05-05-2021, 11:22 AM)Cian Wrote: Same here to be honest, but the last few times I've used my primary combo blade it wasnt as easy to push the material through.  With that said, I do have a handful of extra new blades I've picked up over the years so unless my wwing takes a huge uptick of my time (not yet retired so possibly) I may never really need to sharpen any of my saw blades. 
Rolleyes

With the stacked dado, all the blades need to be the same height so it's a package deal. Likewise if you replace a tooth on one (any of them) they all need to be resharpened to get that flat bottom we all strive for. On my set for the second sharpening they ground back the anti kickback shoulders as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have two stacks of Freud dado blades. 

The first set I bought for my table saw.  After that I obtained a used radial arm saw and that saw required a negative hook angle stack. 

The negative hook angle stack cuts slower, but with a much cleaner slot.  I almost always use the negative hook angle stack for either saw.  I will have it sharpened when the edges get ragged.

I don't make dados as much as I used to.  I used to do it mostly for cabinetwork.

I now have a sheet goods-specific dowel jig (CMT) and it is a stronger joint and does not require cutting dadoes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've used my local service as well as Forrest.

Ridge carbide also sharpens.

They need to be sharpened as a set to maintain consistent height.