Mini split condenser blew up
About 1/2 hr ago, we heard two electrical buzzing sounds happen about 2 minutes apart.  Then there was a pop followed by a loud rushing of air.  I went outside to look and I saw a large gray cloud spewing out of my kid's minisplit condenser unit.  It had that burning electrical smell.

I rushed upstairs and my kid was sound asleep.   The wall-mounted blower unit was still running but no longer blowing cold air.  I turned it off.  (They're not linked?)

Luckily I can just put in a work order to have it checked out, but what happened?  We only run the AC units at night and kids don't turn them down too much (75deg).
What happened?  Something broke. I suppose if you want a WAG, one or more of the caps on the inverter or rectifier section blew up.  Maybe a transformer.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(05-18-2021, 12:05 AM)blackhat Wrote: What happened?  Something broke. I suppose if you want a WAG, one or more of the caps on the inverter or rectifier section blew up.  Maybe a transformer.

This is what they found this morning.  Now we wait...

(05-18-2021, 01:49 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: This is what they found this morning.  Now we wait...

Hope it is not, but looks like base of compressor.   Roly
Interesting. Out of curiosity: What's the breaker size that feeds the unit and what is the MAX Fuse/Breaker listed on the condenser's manufacturer's nameplate?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Kind of looks like the terminal cover for the compressor. Possible the terminal plug blew. Is there oil everywhere?  The noise would have been the refrigerant charge venting out along with a bunch of really ugly oil which would have been the cloud. Also the burned electric stink. If so, the whole unit should be replaced inside and out as well as the tubing.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(05-19-2021, 06:11 PM)blackhat Wrote: Kind of looks like the terminal cover for the compressor. Possible the terminal plug blew. Is there oil everywhere?  The noise would have been the refrigerant charge venting out along with a bunch of really ugly oil which would have been the cloud. Also the burned electric stink. If so, the whole unit should be replaced inside and out as well as the tubing.

That's what it is.
Tuesday morning a tech came out and confirmed the unit was dead.

Wednesday morning they dropped off a new blower and condenser unit.  Same afternoon two guys unmounted both old pieces from the house.

This morning before lunch they welded up some catwalks to make it safer to inspect in the future and mounted the condenser.  The new condenser is mounted above the frame that the welder's left hand is on.  Another catwalk has been added in front of the guy on the ladder.

Right now they're mounting the blower unit and I saw one guy carry a tank of gas upstairs.  I'm guessing they'll wrap it up by this afternoon or at least tomorrow morning.

Paul
Barbed wire and bars? How long are you in for?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay