3 - Way Switch Question - Picture
(05-22-2021, 02:35 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Ok, I will ask
Why not call an electrician?
Better than an eletrical fire not covered by insurance as it was DIY......

Why would you think that electrical DIY resulting in fire damage isn't covered by insurance?

(05-27-2021, 11:59 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Why would you think that electrical DIY resulting in fire damage isn't covered by insurance?

Code compliance is code compliance, no matter if it were DIY or professionally done, at least in my town (NJ).  So long as you pull the permits and get inspected.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-27-2021, 02:25 PM)Admiral Wrote: Code compliance is code compliance, no matter if it were DIY or professionally done, at least in my town (NJ).  So long as you pull the permits and get inspected.

He said nothing about code compliance.  He simply said that DIY work means that the insurance company won't pay out.

I was meaning if done by an electrician, it will have permits and be code compliant.

Should have added in the original post.
(05-27-2021, 04:31 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: I was meaning if done by an electrician, it will have permits and be code compliant.

Should have added in the original post.

That's not always a guarantee.  A previous house we owned, someone bought it from an estate and added a room under one part of a carport so that they could sell it as a 3 bedroom house.   I wanted to add another room under the other half.  I went to pull the permit that was filed so that I could copy it, and found out there was no permit.    

In this case for the OP, I promise you an electrician isn't pulling a permit to simply change out a switch, even if one is required.

Agreed
You are correct
(05-27-2021, 05:39 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I really don't want to sidetrack the OP's thread, but this is a learning opportunity for me (or maybe it's just a stupid question), but turning the screws vertical? What's the importance of that?

So the Electrician knows if someone messed with his wires when he comes back for a service call!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Here are some videos... not sure if they will help.

After I replaced the simple switch, I decided to replace the dimmer\switch. Here is the new dimmer:

New Dimmer

Here is the wiring in the outlet where the new dimmer will go:

Outlet for new dimmer

Here is the switch only. I already replaced this and I wired the new one the same was as the old one:

Switch that I replaced
And I think I just figured it out....

on the switch I replaced, the black is on a traveler or bronze pole and NOT the black pole!

Duh

Attached Files Image(s)