Tack cloths/tack rags?
Hello,

I was talking to a work colleague the other day about tack cloths for paint preparation and wood work, does anyone here use them frequently? what types/brands can you recommend me?

Also, how would you commonly call it? tack rag or tack cloth? thanks!
I never use them, it's just as easy to clean dust off with a variety of other methods. I just use MS and a cloth and wipe the piece down. You could also blow the dust off (bad idea, IMHO, just puts the dust into the air) or use a shop vac and brush attachment to remove it. Even then, I think I'd o with a light rub down with MS and a cloth.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm with Fred; I no longer use tack rags.  I vacuum.  Sometimes I follow that with a dry microfiber cloth or rag wet with MS or DNA; most times not.  

Tack rag, tack cloth.  All the same to me.  

John
(05-31-2021, 12:40 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I never use them, it's just as easy to clean dust off with a variety of other methods. I just use MS and a cloth and wipe the piece down. You could also blow the dust off (bad idea, IMHO, just puts the dust into the air) or use a shop vac and brush attachment to remove it. Even then, I think I'd o with a light rub down with MS and a cloth.

Depending on what was used in the tack rag people have had problems with water borne finishes.   If you are going to use one make sure it is marked for water borne if that is what you are using.   A lot of the older ones were made with bees wax which worked with solvent type finishes.    Roly
I use them religiously. Get the good ones. I tack with forced air. ... Tack Cloth

Crystal Tack Cloth Box
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-03-2021, 05:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I use them religiously. Get the good ones. I tack with forced air. ... Tack Cloth

I use them at times as well mostly between coats of varnish ,,
not so much on unfinished wood depending on the grain 
as the cloth will hang up as any cloth would on the fibers.
compressed canned air in combination with tac cloth for my small projects 
seems to be my way to go.  As Mr. Hunter already said.. 

Like anything else depends on the application.. 
Tack cloths are definitely nice to have in your finishing cabinet.
I rarely use them for fear of leaving residue that will adversely affect the finish. All though most oil based finishes will probably not be a problem. I always just use a cloth dampened with which ever solvent is used to thin the finish I'm going to apply; after vacuuming first.
(06-03-2021, 05:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I use them religiously. Get the good ones. I tack with forced air. ... Tack Cloth

Crystal Tack Cloth Box

On your woodwork or auto and cycles?
I find they’re a nuisance on woodwork.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.