When the *#*&%$ tops just wont come off
without destroying the container, drill a hole in it and insert a sheet metal screw...problem solved!!!!!!!.If the contents, in this case, Tru-Oil, has skimmed over, insert a short piece of wire through the lid and puncture the skin...another problem solved.....
Winkgrin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-1151.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Smart. You mustn't be defeated.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(07-19-2021, 04:57 PM)Scott W Wrote: Smart. You mustn't be defeated.

Like Vince Lombardi said..."winning isn't everything...it's the ONLY thing"!!!
Winkgrin
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I know some folks that store their finishes in the container upside down. That way the part in contact with the lid or cap is always liquid. Turn it right side up to remove the cap and you're cooking with gas.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-20-2021, 04:42 PM)AHill Wrote: I know some folks that store their finishes in the container upside down.  That way the part in contact with the lid or cap is always liquid.  Turn it right side up to remove the cap and you're cooking with gas.

I do my small cans of paint that way (making sure that I got a good seal when I put the lid back on).

I have not tried it yet, but I have heard good reports of people putting glass marbles in their containers of finish to minimize the air in the container.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-20-2021, 06:39 PM)iclark Wrote: I do my small cans of paint that way (making sure that I got a good seal when I put the lid back on).

I have not tried it yet, but I have heard good reports of people putting glass marbles in their containers of finish to minimize the air in the container.
I don't have a problem with the contents skimming over...that's easy to solve with a piece of wire. It's when you don't loosen the "child proof" caps very often and the finish becomes like hardened glue and you can't get the ratchet mechanism in the cap, which has to be pushed down to engage, to break that bond...That's what chaps my hide!
Upset
Upset

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-20-2021, 08:49 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......................
I don't have a problem with the contents skimming over...that's easy to solve with a piece of wire. It's when you don't loosen the "child proof" caps very often and the finish becomes like hardened glue and you can't get the ratchet mechanism in the cap, which has to be pushed down to engage, to break that bond...That's what chaps my hide!
Upset  
Upset

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Yes! This!
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-20-2021, 08:49 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......................
Upset  
Upset

I've had success by using a pair of large pliers. Usually, the child proof outer cap is destroyed, or has to be destroyed in order to get to the real cap inside. After that, it's usually pretty easy to get the lid off with the pliers. A pair of curved jaw vise grips seems to work the best.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(07-23-2021, 10:32 AM)clovishound Wrote: I've had success by using a pair of large pliers. Usually, the child proof outer cap is destroyed, or has to be destroyed in order to get to the real cap inside. After that, it's usually pretty easy to get the lid off with the pliers. A pair of curved jaw vise grips seems to work the best.

Every time I have used Channel Lock pliers, I have ruined the caps. Then the idea of screwing it hit me!
Rolleyes
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

* I've had success by using a pair of large pliers. Usually, the child proof outer cap is destroyed, or has to be destroyed in order to get to the real cap inside. After that, it's usually pretty easy to get the lid off with the pliers. A pair of curved jaw vise grips seems to work the best. *

The first thing I do when I get a container with a child proof cap is I pry off the outer plastic cap leaving the metal cap. Then if the cap gets stuck (which means I forgot to wipe out the cap and threads the last time) a pair of channel locks opens it right up.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski