Veritas Bullnose vs Veritas Trim plane
(08-23-2021, 07:55 AM)AHill Wrote: The OP never states why he want's one or what task he needs it for.  There's truth in all the responses.

That's why a picture or two included in a question will always bring more and better responses in any forum discussion.

Simon
Thank you all for the responses, comments and advice. From what I see, most lean towards using a chisel instead of buying the bullnose plane. After thinking about the advice, I tend to agree. I have enough chisels, even have one offset chisel, so that Derek's advice on that is spot on. 

All this did make me think. When trying to decide whether to buy a "new" tool that will have limited use, it would be nice to already have that tool. Then you would see how much you use it, and see if it did what you were envisioning it could do. You could make an educated decision at that point. But that's not the way it works. (Guess I'm in a philosophizing mood today, sorry.)

I guess now I will have money to buy something else. 
Yes 
Decisions, decisions!
Someone said Bullnose Plane?    A fellow Woodnetter gifted this to me, and just so happens I pulled it out yesterday to clean up dovetails on a lipped drawer.  

This is not an easy plane to set up. You can see where the blade was protruding a tad too much. Had to fidget with it get get it working correctly. As others have said, it will not go all the way into the corner so I have to finish up with a chisel. As much as I would like a chisel plane, I do have long paring chisels, and they work well. 

(08-24-2021, 07:59 PM)Scoony Wrote: Someone said Bullnose Plane?    A fellow Woodnetter gifted this to me, and just so happens I pulled it out yesterday to clean up dovetails on a lipped drawer.  

This is not an easy plane to set up. You can see where the blade was protruding a tad too much. Had to fidget with it get get it working correctly. As others have said, it will not go all the way into the corner so I have to finish up with a chisel. As much as I would like a chisel plane, I do have long paring chisels, and they work well. 

Nice looking plane Scoony, even if it is tough to use!
I have the Wood River chisel plane and I rarely find a need for it anymore.  I picked it up when I was working in a cabinet shop for one specific task. We used a flush trim bit to get face frames perfectly flush with the insides of the box. That left little bits in each corner that needed trimming. The chisel plane fit the bill perfectly. However, as others have said, it loves to dive into the grain and cause problems when going with the grain.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Low angle block planes make good chisel planes if the front end is cut off. A good buy is a low angle, all ugly looking, at a flea market that everyone passes by. Just like cheap chisels made into fishtail chisels for that one time use

Tom