Small ROund Cuting Board
Turned a small (about 13") round cutting board on my PM 2014  It was scraps stuck together.  I've did it just because I could. It's been too hot to be out in the shop but we had a two weeks of cool evenings and mornings.  It was donated to a local group that does an annual Christmas Toy run for 10 families.  I figured it would get $25 but it went for $250.  Also are some end grain cttring boards.  Tried a random pattern this time.  On went for $400 and the other $300.  All for a good cause.

There is a slight blemish in one of the joints. Hardly noticeable in person but the pic shows it. They buyer didn't care and again, it would have all gone onto the scrap bin so why not.
Great project and for a good cause! I've been wondering what to do with all the scraps I've accumulated and you just gave me a good idea.

Thanks!
Good looking boards and excellent give back,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Great work and donated to a good cause. Couldn't be better.
(10-04-2021, 11:28 AM)charliez Wrote: Turned a small (about 13") round cutting board on my PM 2014  It was scraps stuck together.  I've did it just because I could. It's been too hot to be out in the shop but we had a two weeks of cool evenings and mornings.  It was donated to a local group that does an annual Christmas Toy run for 10 families.  I figured it would get $25 but it went for $250.  Also are some end grain cttring boards.  Tried a random pattern this time.  On went for $400 and the other $300.  All for a good cause.
Nice looking boards.   Are you at all concerned about the joint on the round board where the piece of lighter colored (Maple?) crosses the other pieces?   Is it simply a butt joint, or is there more than meets the eye?
Right along this area.  This was just some scraps.  I got this lathe with the idea to use it to turn some round boards.  I've done a lot of boards in the last couple years and people really like them.  I just give them away.  Sales is not my thing.  If it didn't turn out I would have just tossed it aside or gave it to someone.  I guess the parts slid a little bit during the clamping and I didn't notice it.

Attached Files Image(s)

The dark lines too were off just a tad. Another indication of it sliding
It all looks great to me. Small features that the maker might be sensitive about are very often seen by others as artistic features and proof that it was handmade.

Part of that consideration was expanded on by one of our local club's pro guest turners:
simply saying that an item was made in your studio immediately increases its sale value vs saying that it was made in your shop.
As humorous a that may sound, there is a huge amount of truth in it.

I think that nadima was asking about the different expansion and contraction of the woods as they change moisture content over the seasons. That size change is very different for different wood directions.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Speaking of expansion and contraction. There’s a guy here that makes very intricate platters and bowls from laser cut pieces of different woods. They sold in the several thousands of dollars.

But not to people outside of Hawaii.

Dry conditions and seasonal changes would cause the pieces to explode when shipped outside of Hawaii.
VH07V