Woodpeckers 1282SS not straight.
Just got the 1282SS and the 642SS set in the mail. Yay...but wait. The 1282 isn't straight.  I got these to be reliable to judge my other squares which always seem to not agree. The 1282 leans to the left a bit...makes it a major challenge to compare to others if the ruler part isn't true. Called customer service and of course they are closed...now I gotta wait. Uggh.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Initiate an exchange or return.
(09-12-2021, 07:26 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Initiate an exchange or return.

I am Monday morning.  I am shocked however at the quality though.  The small one is all scratched up in the base and the big one won't lay flat.
I am not a fan of Woodpeckers, so take this advice from a one-time-purchaser with all your required skepticism.

In my opinion, you would be better served with a hardened stainless steel machinist's square (no inch markings) plus an Incra T-ruler. 

You can get a set of squares from Grizzly for $30.00. (From Amazon.com for $40.00--but may include free shipping.)

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H2993-Mac...B0000DD4EE

And an Incra 12" T-rule for $30.00. 

https://www.amazon.com/T-RULE12-12-Inch-...=hi&sr=1-4

The Incra is laser cut the precision is guaranteed.

[Image: p_trules_body2_zoom.png]

Grizzly square set ($30.00):

[Image: h2993-40a1c1d299ea2eaecd2e0fab705c1915.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler...I did consider that. WP is made here which I like. I considered the Incra Gauranteed square but it has no measurements.  I don't particularly like the incra rule you showed b/c IMHO they seem flimsy.  This was a treat for me for sure and there are a lot cheaper options.  You make good suggestions.

UPDATE. I was able to talk to them today and they are shipping me out a new set. No hassle or argument.  I was a bit worried since I'd never dealt with them.
Don't leave your W-P tools out in the sun.  Their anodizing dyes are not UV resistant and will fade badly if left in the sun.  Too much time in the sun and you will not be able to read the markings. 

Other than that, and if the replacement is satisfactory, then no problems.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the tip. 

I had also considered Bridge City Tools until I found out their stuff is imported.
I would bend it back with my hands; slight pressure would do it lickety-split.  That bend is so slight that it can be corrected.  Unless it is out of square Id bend it back.
Glad Woodpecker made good. their tools are expensive, but usually decent quality. 

As to Bridge City. I've placed one order, and had a bigger order in the cart when the first came. The first was in such poor condition it appeared there was zero quality control. Specifically, the damage was cosmetic, but at their prices I expected excellent, not fixable. 

My contact with customer service was entirely unsatisfactory and I canceled the second order. A big disappointment based on their expensive advertising and positioning as  first class. 

Compared to my interactions with both Lie Nielsen & Lee Valley where after speaking with customer service would never hesitate to buy from them.
(10-08-2021, 10:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I would bend it back with my hands; slight pressure would do it lickety-split.  That bend is so slight that it can be corrected.  Unless it is out of square Id bend it back.

I wouldn't try and fix it.....for what WP charges, it better come perfect.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark