Allergic to Ash?
Has anyone experienced sensitivity to ash? I have been working over the last several months breaking down a (fairly dry) ash log and turning it into chair parts. I did not notice a problem at first even when turning parts on the lathe. The last few weeks I have spent time shaving spindles with a drawknife and spokeshaves. After a half hour or so my nose starts running and I sneeze. After I leave the shop it goes away. There is enough wood in this log to last me a year or two so I don’t want to stop using it. 

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for masks or respirators? Any information would be helpful. 

Thanks, Tom
Not with ash, but cocobolo makes me sneeze. My worst reaction to ash is getting splinters from it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've been working on an ash bench recently, and have not experenced any reaction from the wood other than being mad about having to pay $9/bd.ft. for it.
No
(11-21-2021, 04:43 PM)Tom Wiarda Wrote: Has anyone experienced sensitivity to ash? I have been working over the last several months breaking down a (fairly dry) ash log and turning it into chair parts. I did not notice a problem at first even when turning parts on the lathe. The last few weeks I have spent time shaving spindles with a drawknife and spokeshaves. After a half hour or so my nose starts running and I sneeze. After I leave the shop it goes away. There is enough wood in this log to last me a year or two so I don’t want to stop using it. 

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for masks or respirators? Any information would be helpful. 

Thanks, Tom

I have respiratory problems with cocobolo (and I suspect most rosewoods), cedar, and walnut dust,  but I’ve made a boatload of ash furniture and haven’t had a problem.  Maybe it’s the dust causing problems without causing an allergic reaction.
(11-22-2021, 09:00 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: I've been working on an ash bench recently, and have not experenced any reaction from the wood other than being mad about having to pay $9/bd.ft. for it.
No

Mine was free but a lot of work to break it down. 

(11-21-2021, 04:43 PM)Tom Wiarda Wrote: Has anyone experienced sensitivity to ash? I have been working over the last several months breaking down a (fairly dry) ash log and turning it into chair parts. I did not notice a problem at first even when turning parts on the lathe. The last few weeks I have spent time shaving spindles with a drawknife and spokeshaves. After a half hour or so my nose starts running and I sneeze. After I leave the shop it goes away. There is enough wood in this log to last me a year or two so I don’t want to stop using it. 

Thanks, Tom

Never had a reaction to ash, the rosewood family slightly, but not ash.

Given that you are working from a log, perhaps mold or just a lot of fine dust trapped in the bark/cambium layer?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have a problem with Bolivian Rose Wood, which isn't a rosewood but a look alike.  I get a rash and my eyes swell shut. You mentioned you were using a draw knife and a spoke shave, so you might try some nitrile gloves. And cover your arms real well. You didn't mention sanding. A runny nose and sneezing kind of says dust in the air. I would start with a mask people use for covid. 

I would take steps to cover up and protect. If you have an allergy to it it will only get worse. Pay attention when working with it. You will have to be the one to decide.  

Tom
Try wearing a pair of latex gloves next time you work with the ash.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I would be willing to bet it's not the ash you're actively working, but the dust or some other allergen in your shop (maybe pollen?). There are many woods I've heard of causing specific allergic reactions, and none seem to have much overlap with ash.

The possibility of mold spores or other allergen in the ash makes some sense to me, but would still surprise me. Probably more likely than an allergy to the wood itself.

You might try doing something out in your shop for a bit without touching any of the ash and see if that gets you the same result. Then your options would be any good dusk mask, a shop air cleaner, or some allergy meds. Or all three!
Been working with Ash for a couple years now....no issues...

However..White Oak, IF I do a lot of sanding...I will breathe that Tannin smell for the rest of the week...reason #1 why I stopped working with Oak.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that