Exterior Door
I just realized (in the  process of replacing a deadbolt)  that my exterior door from garage to side yard has been hung the wrong way.  It is an inswing door that has been hung as an outswing door.  This  means that the  hinge is outside and the  door can easily be removed from the  outside by just removing the  hinge pins.  How convenient for any burglar to break in!!!
In my quest to find a replacement outswing door I find that they are several hundred dollars  more expensive than an inswing door. This is a regular 30 x 80 door in steel or fiberglass.  The  fiberglass  version is about 275 for an inswing door, whereas an outswing door is about $ 800.  Say what ??  Why??  Does any of you door experts  know why the big price difference?
Inquiring minds want to know
Not a door expert, but I would say that replacing your whole door to deal with this issue is rather extreme.  For a fiberglass door, I don't think there's any difference in the door itself as to which way it swings.  The difference for security would be in the hardware.  There are security hinges that you could add to your existing door.  One type has irremoveable hingepins...so you would just have to remove the screws if you needed to take down the door.  Another type has studs that prevent the door from being removed when the door is closed, even if the pins are removed.  And there are others...just google it.
Bob
Have a look at the hinges.  I bet they have a locking feature which precludes opening if the pin is removed.

I had a door to the garage that was the same:

While you could pull the pins, you couldn't open the door.

If the door doesn't have hinges with locks, it's easy peasy to replace them.
chris
All you need is NRP hinges Non removable Pins.  They have set screw that you can only get to when the door is open
(01-30-2022, 12:38 PM)fixtureman Wrote: All you need is NRP hinges Non removable Pins.  They have set screw that you can only get to when the door is open

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions  (still wondering why outswing door costs so much more).
(01-30-2022, 12:38 PM)fixtureman Wrote: All you need is NRP hinges Non removable Pins.  They have set screw that you can only get to when the door is open

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions  (still wondering why outswing door costs so much more).
(01-30-2022, 04:49 PM)Vijay Wrote: Thank you all for your helpful suggestions  (still wondering why outswing door costs so much more).

are you sure you were comparing the same brand, model, quality of door?  Got links?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(01-30-2022, 05:06 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: are you sure you were comparing the same brand, model, quality of door?  Got links?

You are right.  I was comparing Masonite with Steves and Sons, MMI since Masonite does not have the the outswing door on the Home Depot site.
Sad 
You can make the pins "non-removable" with a 1/8" drill bit. With the door open, drill thru the top "finger" (for lack of a better term) of each hinge into the pin. When you're done drilling put the chuck end of the bit in the hole with some loc-tight and break it off flush. Repeat on other hinges. You could drill and tap but in my case I'd end up with the same thing except it's a broken tap holding the pin.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-30-2022, 11:09 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: You can make the pins "non-removable" with a 1/8" drill bit. With the door open, drill thru the top "finger" (for lack of a better term) of each hinge into the pin. When you're done drilling put the chuck end of the bit in the hole with some loc-tight and break it off flush. Repeat on other hinges. You could drill and tap but in my case I'd end up with the same thing except it's a broken tap holding the pin.

Thank you. That is a good idea.