Last of the tool boxes
This is the last of the four tool boxes I plan to make. Black Walnut and Hard Maple.

[Image: 9.jpg]

Just mitred corners. The notable feature is is that there is no spline or reinforcing. Instead, the end grain corners are sized and glued.

Sizing involved a layer of glue on the end grain, allow to near-dry, then add fresh glue. The glue fills the straws and the joint avoids being glue-starved.

[Image: 10.jpg]

The opening to the top in at the end facing the camera ...

[Image: 11.jpg]

Here is the finger pull ...

[Image: 12.jpg]

Knew Concepts 5" Titanium fretsaw with one of my custom handles, and a kerfing chisel.

[Image: 13.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Very nice. The finger pull is subtle, at least in photos, and looks great. (But so much for Adam's stack-out idea!)

It looks like your spare blades could use a channel of their own.

Presumably the variety of woods relates to your off-cut pile. I can imagine you using the variety of methods among these four boxes directly in your traveling classes/demonstrations, so the boxes serve a double purpose.
I must have missed one of them.  I can remember three, but the fourth is a mystery.  They all look great.
(02-14-2022, 02:28 PM)stav Wrote: I must have missed one of them.  I can remember three, but the fourth is a mystery.  They all look great.

Stav, here are the boxes. I think the one you refer to is closest the camera ...

[Image: 14.jpg]

This was re-purposed from a chisel box (could only hold 5 and this had grown to 7) to hold marking tools.

[Image: 15.jpg]

[Image: 16.jpg]

Inside are a two cutting gauges, a 12"/300mm combination square, a 4"/100mm double square, dividers, marking knife, sliding bevel, and two dovetail gauges.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Very nice, as usual. Have you yet had a chance to test your organization against the reality of a project?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Thanks Curt.

Testing? I made the two mitred through dovetail boxes using these tools.

It does not feel like a lot of woodworking to me, but I have not had much spare time of late.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I love those boxes.  The tool display is great on its own.  Like something you might see in a museum or something.  

I'm curious about the extra handle for the fret saw.  What prompted you to make that?  A different look or some different functionality?
(03-22-2022, 11:54 AM)stav Wrote: I love those boxes.  The tool display is great on its own.  Like something you might see in a museum or something.  

I'm curious about the extra handle for the fret saw.  What prompted you to make that?  A different look or some different functionality?

Stav, that is not an extra handle. It is a kerfing chisel, which is used to deepen the kerf in pin sockets.

[Image: FS2.jpg]

All the details here:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...isel2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
My mistake. I have to expand the screen on my iPad to get the words large enough to read clearly. Didn’t scroll to the right on that one.

The handle and the chisel look great.