Getting the Shop Back Together

After three years, the tools finally come out of storage. I’m going from a three-car framed garage to an 18 x 18 cinder block garage. I need to have a 100 amp line run to the garage so I can run 240v circuits for my TS, BS, jointer and dust collector. Need to run dust collection. Need to go through that pile of stuff to see what I still have and what I gave away. I know I need a new shop vac and pancake compressor. I had a cross-cut sled - but where is it?

I need to build a mitre station with storage, more storage shelves and get them on the cinder block walls.  Or maybe an outfeed table first. And keep space for garbage cans and kid’s bike and toys. 
Have to go through a big pile of wood and see what I’ve got. Have to decide whether to get a domino. 
Oh my god, have you seen how expensive plywood and everything else has gotten? 
And how am I going to get wood now that I don’t have a pickup truck anymore?  I don't have room to break it down.  This is going to be interesting.

I'm very excited, but who has time to build with a full time job, a wife and a 5 year old? And how do I keep a five year old boy away from the sharp objects?  Oh, and I promised to build him a palace.  Anyone have plans for a palace playhouse?

David:

Memories of our move.

I'm a bit slow so it took about 20 years but my shop is now functional. Not optimal but maybe by next week
Smile

Bill
FYI I run a 220/30 amp circuit from my house to the "shop" sub-panel and have never had any issues running two 220 volt  pieces of equipment.
Rockwell/Delta 12/14 table saw, Oneida 1.5 horse cyclone system.
You train the five-year old. Make him your working pal. Teach him with simple tasks he can safely perform on a project you can do together. Make him a part of the steps he cannot perform through explanation and observation. Make it fun. Give the child your time. It will come back to you ten fold or more. Time is all we have and kids love being with their parents more than anything. Good to see you’re getting setup. Be sure to share the experience.
(03-27-2022, 06:16 PM)dejongs Wrote: FYI I run a 220/30 amp circuit from my house to the "shop" sub-panel and have never had any issues running two 220 volt  pieces of equipment.
Rockwell/Delta 12/14 table saw, Oneida 1.5 horse cyclone system.
Yes, 60A is plenty adequate.

I have 4 220V machines on one circuit. 20 years and never an issue. Circuit installed by electrician.
(03-27-2022, 07:51 AM)David Stone Wrote: Oh my god, have you seen how expensive plywood and everything else has gotten? 

Ayup.  But have you priced out tools?  Sheesh.  It's gotten out of reach for new hobbyists.  Where in years past, we all strived to have stationary tools as minimum, it looks like benchtops are the accepted norm nowadays for new wwers due to costs.  It's nuts.  It was fortuitous that you didn't sell off your tools back in the day. I personally have plans to move in a couple years, and initially thought of selling my tools and just buying new again after I relocate, but no freakin' way - not at today's inflated prices.  I'll pay movers so that I can take it all with me.