Ridgid planer screaming
I have the older Ridgid lunch box planer, TP1300.  Have had it for a long time and have used it a lot.  Recently noticed that it really screams when I use it, didn't have ear protection on,  and really rattles as it winds down.  Before I really get into it to see what is going on, has anyone experienced this issue? I did pull the brushes and they look OK.  Is this a motor issue for maybe gear box?  Would like to fix it if possible. not really interested in buying a new one.  Thanks in advance.
Likely a cutter head or feed roller bearing(s).

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(05-07-2022, 04:59 PM)NWOhioJim Wrote: I have the older Ridgid lunch box planer, TP1300.  Have had it for a long time and have used it a lot.  Recently noticed that it really screams when I use it, didn't have ear protection on,  and really rattles as it winds down.  Before I really get into it to see what is going on, has anyone experienced this issue? I did pull the brushes and they look OK.  Is this a motor issue for maybe gear box?  Would like to fix it if possible. not really interested in buying a new one.  Thanks in advance.

I would bet on a bearing, probably on cutter head but could also be motor bearings.   Remove the drive belt and start up, if not screaming it is the cutter head bearings. Dont think it has a gear box, just a belt driving the cutter head. Roly
Did you register it? Ridgid carries lifetime warranty.

Simon
(05-07-2022, 11:09 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Did you register it? Ridgid carries lifetime warranty.

Simon

No.  Estate sale purchase for $105 12 years ago.
If the repair will cost more than $100, consider buying a new Ridgid. But you must register it within 30 days(?) to enjoy the lifetime warranty. They really fix it free for you. My neighbor had his serviced twice over the past 6 years, all for free. He also got a new Ridgid drill after the old one couldnt really be fixed.

Compared to my Dewalt, I dont see much difference in its performance. If mine broke down, the Ridgid would be my first choice.

Simon
Thanks for all the input.  I took it apart and took the belt off.  Sounded fine.  Decided to put the belt back on to see exactly where the noise was coming from.  Sounded fine.  So, current problem solved, don't know why.  Cleaned it up and put it back together and it runs fine.  Back to making more saw dust!
(05-09-2022, 07:46 AM)NWOhioJim Wrote: Thanks for all the input.  I took it apart and took the belt off.  Sounded fine.  Decided to put the belt back on to see exactly where the noise was coming from.  Sounded fine.  So, current problem solved, don't know why.  Cleaned it up and put it back together and it runs fine.  Back to making more saw dust!

Just delayed, not solved.   Roly
I’m betting the bearings are going out.
"I’m betting the bearings are going out.'
--Cabinet Monkey

That also was my initial thought.