Powermatic 2014 lathe questions
Just joined the forum and am looking for some info.  Have purchased the Powermatic 2014 and while waiting for delivery I want to build a bench for it.  Missing and need to confirm some dimensions.  I read it is 52" overall.  Does this include the bed extension and motor or just the bed and motor?  I have been told the bed is 32 1/2" The extension is 13". How far does the motor extend out past the head stock?  Web also says the lathe is 24" wide.  This must include the inverter on the back.  I believe the bed is about 11" wide.  Looking for some help from someone who might have the lathe that could provide me with the dimensions of the various components.
Thanks, Bill
Welcome to Woodnet.

While you are waiting for your lathe, you can download the manual from Powermatic:
https://content.powermatic.com/assets/ma...man_EN.pdf

There are some sizes in the specs and there are hole patterns for mounting to a workbench on p8.

There are lots of talented people here, but it is hard to know where to start when giving you suggestions.

Is this your first lathe?

If not, what have you been turning on in the past?

Are you a member of a local woodturning club?

When building your bench, you can consider if you want to build in dust collection and how you are going to deal with shavings that drop into the bed.

Also, plan to be able to access the phase inverter on the back when there is a need to do troubleshooting.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Congratulations on your purchase. The "2014" refers to the turning capacity of the lathe, i.e., 20 " between centers and with a 14" swing. Swing is the distance between the lathe bed and the center of the headstock spindle -- this case, 7" (doubled to 14" to get swing). I have a friend with that lathe for sale; however, I do not have easy access to it. Will be visiting in a week or so, though and can do some measuring for you if you still need it.
Are you getting the extension as well?

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(04-04-2022, 01:20 PM)Calgary Bill Wrote: Just joined the forum and am looking for some info.  Have purchased the Powermatic 2014 and while waiting for delivery I want to build a bench for it.  Missing and need to confirm some dimensions.  I read it is 52" overall.  Does this include the bed extension and motor or just the bed and motor?  I have been told the bed is 32 1/2" The extension is 13". How far does the motor extend out past the head stock?  Web also says the lathe is 24" wide.  This must include the inverter on the back.  I believe the bed is about 11" wide.  Looking for some help from someone who might have the lathe that could provide me with the dimensions of the various components.
Thanks, Bill

Build a cabinet, not a bench. Too many people have open stands stealing valuable floor space in the shop.  Some even use their stands to store bags of sand instead of small power tools and other heavy things. 

You want to mount the lathe as close to the front of the cabinet as possible so you can stand up close when turning.   You would also like to have a "wall" at the rear to keep shavings made while hollowing from spreading at ease.  Actual wall is what I have, and the water flung when turning wet stock is flun onto a standing cardboard against the real wall.  A shavings bag up front of the bowl area catches the shavings from outside.

Be sure and put a bit of a cantilever "foot" on the front of your cabinet to thrust against a too-fast spin of unbalanced work.  A to-the-floor kickboard as in kitchen cabinets will keep stray shavings from hiding underneath, too.

I'd incorporate all the above in any rebuild of my current (in use) cabinet.  Most of them are already here. 

Just noticed a mod I made with blocks elevating the bed enough to get my brush underneath.  You can see them - plywood.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(04-05-2022, 06:30 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Congratulations on your purchase.  The "2014" refers to the turning capacity of the lathe, i.e., 20 " between centers and with a 14" swing.  Swing is the distance between the lathe bed and the center of the headstock spindle -- this case, 7" (doubled to 14" to get swing).  I have a friend with that lathe for sale; however, I do not have easy access to it.  Will be visiting in a week or so, though and can do some measuring for you if you still need it.

GM
Thanks for all the input.  I think I have taken all the points into consideration, ie cabinet vs bench, Height, Position, stability etc.  Was hoping to connect with someone who might have a 2014 and could provide me with some dimensions.  I have obtained some off of the Powermatic web site but they are pretty general, other than the bolt pattern. I have searched around and a site by Carl Ford was very informative.  Just looking for a few more measurements.
Thanks all.
(04-05-2022, 06:30 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Congratulations on your purchase.  The "2014" refers to the turning capacity of the lathe, i.e., 20 " between centers and with a 14" swing.  Swing is the distance between the lathe bed and the center of the headstock spindle -- this case, 7" (doubled to 14" to get swing).  I have a friend with that lathe for sale; however, I do not have easy access to it.  Will be visiting in a week or so, though and can do some measuring for you if you still need it.

GM

GM,

Is your friend's lathe still available? I'm thinking of stepping up to that size from my Nova Comet DR II for additional swing and HP. If it's available, where is it? I'm outside NYC.

Josh
(05-08-2022, 01:02 PM)JoshDB Wrote: GM,

Is your friend's lathe still available? I'm thinking of stepping up to that size from my Nova Comet DR II for additional swing and HP. If it's available, where is it? I'm outside NYC.

Josh

Lathe has been sold.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I have that lathe. Got it last year. I built a bench. Space under it works better for me. So far it's been great. I'd like to add the bed extension and drop down to turn some larger things. Maybe one day.