Another old planer coming back to life!
(05-24-2022, 05:43 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: It's a 1953 Powermatic 16" CE.

I have a couple of the E16 models moving them alone was tricky.  One I had to strap the top to the trailer and lower slower slowly so it didn't tip out.  The second one I used a cherry picker to get out.  darn things are heavy
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(06-03-2022, 01:30 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: A buddy loaned me his portable bench top planer while this one is down (selling the 100 was a mistake!) and man, is it SLOW.  3/32" max cut...in pine.  I'm milling down walnut planks for a table.  I'm forced to cut at 1/64" at a time to prevent tearout.  It's torture!

I've never had the opportunity to use one of those benchtop planers.  What you report confirms my suspicions about their effectiveness. 
Decades back I did a big redwood job and only had a Powermatic 100 planer.  I started planing first thing in the morning.  By 1:00 AM I'd filled eleven 55 gallon drum liner bags with shavings.  Once you become accustomed to that kind of effectiveness, its got to be frustrating to go to a suitcase screamer.
(06-06-2022, 08:12 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I've never had the opportunity to use one of those benchtop planers.  What you report confirms my suspicions about their effectiveness. 
Decades back I did a big redwood job and only had a Powermatic 100 planer.  I started planing first thing in the morning.  By 1:00 AM I'd filled eleven 55 gallon drum liner bags with shavings.  Once you become accustomed to that kind of effectiveness, its got to be frustrating to go to a suitcase screamer.

Before I picked up the 100, I had a Rigid portable planer.  It wasn't *terrible*, but was still slower and much louder.  This planer, a Harbor Freight piece, is terrible.

On the OWWM forum, I asked a question about setting up the CE but haven't gotten any responses yet.  Would you mind taking a look at it and helping me out?

https://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=233645
Semper fi,
Brad

It still needs some fine tuning to get rid of some sniping on the outfeed and the knives need to be set a *bit* better, and there's a bad bearing on the head but it runs!

https://youtu.be/JQEfPdkrSIE
Semper fi,
Brad

Well done! Enjoy seeing those old made in the USA machines brought back to life.
I love to see old woodworking machines outperforming their new so called "replacements".

I brought an old Parks 12" planer back to life following Bob Vaughan's tutorial, and advice. It cuts beautifully! And it actually sounds like a powerful woodworking machine as yours does. I use a 3-1/4" x 12" x 6" round sheet metal adapter, reduced to 3", and can use a shop vac with a Thien Baffle on a 30 gal. barrel to keep up with the chips. It's easier to swap out a barrel than empty the D.C.. It generates a lot of chips, real fast. 

I also have a 24" that still has babbitt bearings and a square cutter-head. Variable speed is accomplished by positioning a leather sandwich wheel (changed to rubber) at the appropriate distance from center of the drive disk. Toro came out with a new infinitely variable speed riding lawnmower in the 1980's based on the same principal; from the 1800"s. A lot of snow blowers use this design now too.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-21-2022, 11:24 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I love to see old woodworking machines outperforming their new so called "replacements".

I brought an old Parks 12" planer back to life following Bob Vaughan's tutorial, and advice. It cuts beautifully! And it actually sounds like a powerful woodworking machine as yours does. I use a 3-1/4" x 12" x 6" round sheet metal adapter, reduced to 3", and can use a shop vac with a Thien Baffle on a 30 gal. barrel to keep up with the chips. It's easier to swap out a barrel than empty the D.C.. It generates a lot of chips, real fast. 

I also have a 24" that still has babbitt bearings and a square cutter-head. Variable speed is accomplished by positioning a leather sandwich wheel (changed to rubber) at the appropriate distance from center of the drive disk. Toro came out with a new infinitely variable speed riding lawnmower in the 1980's based on the same principal; from the 1800"s. A lot of snow blowers use this design now too.

Oh yeah, the Powermatic 100 this is replacing was a joy to use.  If I weren't tilting to building tables I wouldn't have upgraded the size.  For that one I built a dust chute from plywood; I'll do the same here.  My DC is a 3hp Frakenunit that has a pair of 40 gallon bags that are easy-ish to empty. 

I used Bob's video on that planer and on this one!
Semper fi,
Brad

I built a dust chute for it this week.  I still get a little blow back out the front so I'll add some side ramps inside to see if that helps. 

I think the bushing on the outfeed bed roller needs attention.  It occasionally screeches, and when it happens, the roller slows or stops. 

https://youtu.be/PswmnCEQ8as
Semper fi,
Brad

So there is no kickback fingers/setup on this machine?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-05-2022, 01:16 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So there is no kickback fingers/setup on this machine?

Nope.  Same setup as a Model 100.  In/out feed rollers, bed rollers, cutter head, chip breaker, and pressure bar.
Semper fi,
Brad