Fine Woodworking on routing...Really?
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/03/...uter-table

I suppose they were short of material or videos to post on their website.

Simon
I agree with you. I mean Hello. But if you keep track of your datum surfaces with a X, why does the grove have to be in the center? If all pieces with an x matchit makes no difference.

Tom
Definitely not an article for experienced woodworkers, but there are still plenty of beginners out there that can benefit from the content.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-23-2022, 06:05 PM)AHill Wrote: Definitely not an article for experienced woodworkers, but there are still plenty of beginners out there that can benefit from the content.

Beginners will benefit more by watching New Yankee Workshop and following Norm Abram on how to rout than this trial and error.....and error demo vid.

Simon
Didn't look at the video, but I've 'snuck up on it' for 40 years.   And horrors on top of THAT, if I need it absolutey centered I'll get it 'close' and then make the cut from both sides.
(07-24-2022, 06:47 AM)KC Wrote: Didn't look at the video, 
Then you wouldn't know if you made the same kind of mistake he did in the video.

Simon
(07-24-2022, 09:50 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Then you wouldn't know if you made the same kind of mistake he did in the video.

Simon

Even without looking at the video I'd say yeah, I've probably made the same mistake.  Not that I HAVE looked at it, I can verify that I've made the same mistake.  I haven't done it 'a hundred times', tho.

I think that test piece might could be a bit longer.
(07-24-2022, 09:59 AM)KC Wrote: I think that test piece might could be a bit longer.

Hey the short length is the selling point! Just like many youtube content makers using a tablesaw without the guard, splitter or riving knife. That sets them apart from the amateurs.

About safety-related mistakes.

Good luck to any beginners watching his video who may think that is a good way of making test cuts.
Laugh

Just a suggestion, if FW really needs to fill up its website (paid content or not), there are tons of youtube cowboys and cowgirls out there that it can contact about showcasing their clips.

Simon
How many of you have a fence like that on your router table?

Doug
Good question.

Mine has proper dust collection.......... I suppose some people working on a construction site might use a 2x4 for some quick routing tasks.

Simon