Pretty sure that Field of Dreams farmer used an Atkins saw
Yeah,  it was hard to snap this picture,  but I'm pretty sure this is an  Atkins panel-size saw from the post-1940s era:

Happy woodworking!
Chris
Would you set your plane atop a saw?
VH07V  
Cutting 2 X 12s with a panel saw will make a man out of you...well at least your right arm.
(08-12-2022, 10:39 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Would you set your plane atop a saw?

Would you set your saw atop a hand brace?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Would you use decent tools like the saw, brace, and perhaps plane (can't tell from the photo exactly what the plane is, other than a block plane), and then check level on a project that size with a plastic torpedo level?

Also, a Sharpie, while it will leave a highly visible line, will also leave a wide line, leading to sloppy cuts. But maybe it was good enough for the bleachers being built.
Pretty sure this is a made for TV picture. Those bleachers were probably made with power tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-12-2022, 10:39 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Would you set your plane atop a saw?

(08-13-2022, 05:51 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Cutting 2 X 12s with a panel saw will make a man out of you...well at least your right arm.

I was really happy when I got old enough that my dad let me cut a 2X12 with a Skilsaw rather than a hand saw.
(08-16-2022, 02:43 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Would you use decent tools like the saw, brace, and perhaps plane (can't tell from the photo exactly what the plane is, other than a block plane), and then check level on a project that size with a plastic torpedo level?

Also, a Sharpie, while it will leave a highly visible line, will also leave a wide line, leading to sloppy cuts.  But maybe it was good enough for the bleachers being built.

Ha, ha, we all point out such things, but we have to remember that the character, Ray Kinsella, was a farmer, jack of many trades, so typically would work with what is available.  My father in law, may he RIP, was a farmer and used some very, very questionable building techniques.  But I must say, rode past the old farm the other day and his DIY corn crib was still standing!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Yes,   all in good fun!

I'll bet even the 1989 2x12's  were better wood than what is selling today   
Smile
Chris