SawStop: Eating Crow
Did you buy one each spare cartridges?

I'm not sure what happened, but while the offcut wasn't touching the fence, the fence was too close. Think the piece caught at an angle and pushed the blade into the very edge of the too close miter fence which I was holding and triggered the safety. Didn't know where the blade went or why till I saw the mark on the very end of the miter gage, but I had a spare cartridge and was able to finish what I was working on. If no spare I'd have been done till Monday morning at best.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
Congrats on the new saw. I've said for a long time if you want to buy a new TS either get a SawStop or a slider. One will save you, with the other your hands should never be close to the blade (unless you use the conventional rip fence).
Does anyone know of an accident on a conventional TS where the guard was in place? I'm sure there have been many but I'll also bet there have been 1000X more on saws where guard had been removed. So all of you folks w/o a SawStop or slider, put the darn guard on it! If you hate it buy an aftermarket one.

John
Politics 
(09-10-2022, 09:11 PM)Tapper Wrote: This is precisely why I bought a Sawstop tablesaw. I also have a friend who lost digits while operating a Unisaw (no reattachment surgery possible). One moment of distraction or inattention is all it takes. There have been "legion" arguments on this board with people who just don't get it, and frankly never will.

Doug

Some of us get it about the safety features but truly hate the way the original SS company owner used the courts to attack other TS manufacturers and to prevent being able to buy other finger-safe TS (like the Bosch) in the US.

I have been very glad to hear about the quality of the SS TS's. I think that high-quality TS's that protect against that moment of distraction/inattention are a wonderful thing.

That said, I hate the fact that I cannot buy the finger-safe Bosch TS. I was very happy with my Bosch contractor saw but then I bought a lathe and the Bosch mobile stand has not been unfolded since then.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-14-2022, 08:28 PM)iclark Wrote: Some of us get it about the safety features but truly hate the way the original SS company owner used the courts to attack other TS manufacturers and to prevent being able to buy other finger-safe TS (like the Bosch) in the US.

I have been very glad to hear about the quality of the SS TS's. I think that high-quality TS's that protect against that moment of distraction/inattention are a wonderful thing.

That said, I hate the fact that I cannot buy the finger-safe Bosch TS. I was very happy with my Bosch contractor saw but then I bought a lathe and the Bosch mobile stand has not been unfolded since then.

Not quite the complete story. Steve Gass, the inventor first offered the device to ALL the major tablesaw manufacturers for a fee. The safety device would be retrofitted to their saws. Rather than negotiate with him in good faith, they decided to stonewall him and band together in opposition to him and his invention. Having a PhD in physics AND a law degree he decided to pursue another avenue, which included government safety regulations. At this he did fail (nothing wrong with trying IMO.)

So, he then decided to design the very best tablesaw on the market, which included the safety device of course, and manufacture and market it himself, a monumental undertaking. The rest, as they say is history. Chalk one up for the good guy, again IMO. AND nothing wrong with vigorously defending your patent rights.

Never forget, this was a "game-changing" invention in tablesaw safety technology. And he came up with the idea, did all the design work and built it himself. An American success story.

Doug
Feeding wood into any woodworking machine with bare hands is just an awful idea, even on a SawStop. It's like letting somebody else pack your parachute.
At least with a Sawstop tablesaw, you have a reserve chute.

Doug
(09-15-2022, 08:23 AM)Tapper Wrote: At least with a Sawstop tablesaw, you have a reserve chute.

Doug

Okay, *that* made me chuckle!
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-15-2022, 08:23 AM)Tapper Wrote: At least with a Sawstop tablesaw, you have a reserve chute.

Doug

Hopefully.  

I've often wondered what happens to those cartridges and sensors after sitting in a dusty environment, no HVAC, cycling hot, cold, dry, humid, for years.  I guess at some point we'll find out.
(09-15-2022, 10:33 AM)CStan Wrote: Hopefully.  

I've often wondered what happens to those cartridges and sensors after sitting in a dusty environment, no HVAC, cycling hot, cold, dry, humid, for years.  I guess at some point we'll find out.

I know a few years ago Bloomington Mike set off his SS. His was one of the originals, bought in 2006 (I think).....the cartridge that went off was the one that came on his saw. They do appear to be well sealed, not sure if the temps/humidity affect them or not.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-15-2022, 11:08 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I know a few years ago Bloomington Mike set off his SS. His was one of the originals, bought in 2006 (I think).....the cartridge that went off was the one that came on his saw. They do appear to be well sealed, not sure if the temps/humidity affect them or not.

The one I set off two months ago was about 15 years old. Not sure which is the current color and which is the older, but this is the older.
Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson