? about insulation
I have mentioned before that I have a basement under my garage. The walls are poured concrete, the floor is also concrete. The garage itself also has a concrete floor, and it gets very cold. Would it do any good to glue Styrofoam insulation to the ceiling of the basement, to help keep the garage floor warmer? The garage is heated. If so, what type of glue works best for adhering Styrofoam, the extruded pink stuff, to concrete?

Thanks   Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(10-17-2022, 11:58 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I have mentioned before that I have a basement under my garage. The walls are poured concrete, the floor is also concrete. The garage itself also has a concrete floor, and it gets very cold. Would it do any good to glue Styrofoam insulation to the ceiling of the basement, to help keep the garage floor warmer? The garage is heated. If so, what type of glue works best for adhering Styrofoam, the extruded pink stuff, to concrete?

Thanks   Greg

If the garage is heated and the basement is not, then putting insulation on the basement ceiling will definitely help keep the garage warmer.  In order of priority, insulation is most beneficial on the ceiling, then the walls, and the floor last, so make sure the ceiling and walls are well insulated before spending money to insulate the floor.  

John
If I were solving your problem, I would install 3" by 2" pressure treated stringers on the floor, fill the spaces with the foam insulation, and 3/4" plywood over that. Then the flooring of your choice.

Or, indoor/outdoor carpeting.
You can't have any exposed foam insulation unless it's fire rated. Usually foam is installed and covered with drywall or some sort of wood paneling. So make sure it has some sort of visible label that says it's for this purpose. I doubt you'll find it at the big box stores.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-17-2022, 04:33 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: You can't have any exposed foam insulation unless it's fire rated. Usually foam is installed and covered with drywall or some sort of wood paneling. So make sure it has some sort of visible label that says it's for this purpose. I doubt you'll find it at the big box stores.

I think the foil faced foam sheets are fire rated. a few Home Depots around here stock that.  Most don't, and Lowes doesn't.  YMMV

Also, some of the spray foams are fire rated.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Do I understand this correctly: you want to insulate the underside of the concrete garage floor to help keep it warmer? If true, I'm not sure what you want to do want to do will help all that much....but then I'm also not sure what you mean by very cold. Here's what I base that on: my shop (freestanding building, slab on grade, and heated) has a very cold floor even though it not exposed to an open area underneath. But this is speculation on my part, and the others certainly have a better grasp on it than I do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.