Confused: Anemometer, FPM, Bill Pentz, drops etc
(11-21-2022, 09:23 PM)MarkWells Wrote: On measuring flow, check out these instructions: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/draf...ost1932353

Please don't confuse me for someone  who knows  how to do this, but my understanding is that there are a lot of details to take care of when measuring air flow.

I would expect low air flow with a 1.5 HP dust collector and a cyclone.  Cyclones rob the system of static pressure.

On the height of ClearVue, I am in the process of installing a ClearVue.  The overall height is really determined by the dust collection bin.  If you are just 1" short, then you could make or buy a shorter dust collection bin.  I have also read it is possible to mount the cyclone at an angle.   I would call the ClearVue folks and ask about that.

If you have budget for a ClearVue, then another option if your height is limited is a Powermatic PM1900 two bag collector.  You can vent outside by putting it in an enclosure that vents to the outside.  I would skip the cyclone, though.

Oneida has several cyclones that fit in a shorter space.  You can order them without filters if you want to vent outside.   Another option, which is more expensive, out of left field option is the Oneida Super Cell.  That would allow you to keep using your 4" pipe, but I see no way to vent that inside.

Spiral duct work is not some kind of magic, performance improving system.  The pipes are female and the connector are male.  So when you put in any connector, it restricts the pipe by 1/8".  Also, the air will blow against the lip of the fittings.   Metal blast gates restrict the pipe volume even more.  Also, the door to those blast gates don't open all the way.

PVC, on the other hand, has male pipe and female connectors, so the connectors don't limit the pipe diameter.

I have done a lot of dust collector research and it's really frustrating there aren't more straightforward solutions.  Since you are already venting outside, improved ventilation might be the more cost effective solution.

Mark
It looks like the clamp-together metal pipe systems may solve the 1/8" restrictions that spiral pipe has, since the rolled lip edges butt together instead of going into one another.  Though it is more expensive.
(11-22-2022, 09:10 AM)davco Wrote: It looks like the clamp-together metal pipe systems may solve the 1/8" restrictions that spiral pipe has, since the rolled lip edges butt together instead of going into one another.  Though it is more expensive.

1/8" in ID at the joints isn't going to make a marginal system magically work, especially if your runs are relatively short.  

John
(11-22-2022, 10:19 AM)jteneyck Wrote: 1/8" in ID at the joints isn't going to make a marginal system magically work, especially if your runs are relatively short.  

John

I'm shopping for a new DC too now, my choices are somewhat limited due to low ceiling height of 86"
Be aware there are two different areas of collection. Dust and chips. The experts seldom work in both areas, since they specialize in one 9of the two. We had three 'experts' once here(yes, Bill was one).

Basically there was a huge argument between two of the three, resulting in two of them being banned for extremely inappropriate behavior. And if you have been here very long, you know it takes really bad behavior to get gone.

Collection boils down to which area is more important. Dust is much more difficult to collect completely due to size of the particles and the behavior of said particles in a stream of air. Filters are often necessary for dust collection, which interferes with air flow and creates other problems. External dust ejection can minimize the need for filters, making that solution optimal in many cases. Another problem is dust created at the point of machine use. TS/miter saws/routers/etc. are not easy machines to extract dust at the point of use.

Chips are relatively easy, separators and baffles do a really good job culling the chips. However, chip collecting solutions impact dust collection.

So, deciding which area is the more important for your shop is the first step. Then decide how dust or chip free you want to be. Then decide how much money you can spend. Then research the particular experts advice and pick the best  solution.
(11-28-2022, 02:56 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: Be aware there are two different areas of collection. Dust and chips. The experts seldom work in both areas, since they specialize in one 9of the two. We had three 'experts' once here(yes, Bill was one).

Basically there was a huge argument between two of the three, resulting in two of them being banned for extremely inappropriate behavior. And if you have been here very long, you know it takes really bad behavior to get gone.

Collection boils down to which area is more important. Dust is much more difficult to collect completely due to size of the particles and the behavior of said particles in a stream of air. Filters are often necessary for dust collection, which interferes with air flow and creates other problems. External dust ejection can minimize the need for filters, making that solution optimal in many cases. Another problem is dust created at the point of machine use. TS/miter saws/routers/etc. are not easy machines to extract dust at the point of use.

Chips are relatively easy, separators and baffles do a really good job culling the chips. However, chip collecting solutions impact dust collection.

So, deciding which area is the more important for your shop is the first step. Then decide how dust or chip free you want to be. Then decide how much money you can spend. Then research the particular experts advice and pick the best  solution.

Sorry that just sounds a bit like something from a comedy, people getting thrown off a forum for inappropriate language over dust.

I just did an interesting test with the anemometer: testing airflow directly from the DC and testing again after the Dust deputy cyclone, and interestingly the airflow directly from the dc was about 2600 FPM and after the cyclone was 3100 fpm, so the cyclone made it go up.
(11-28-2022, 03:03 PM)davco Wrote: Sorry that just sounds a bit like something from a comedy, people getting thrown off a forum for inappropriate language over dust.

I just did an interesting test with the anemometer: testing airflow directly from the DC and testing again after the Dust deputy cyclone, and interestingly the airflow directly from the dc was about 2600 FPM and after the cyclone was 3100 fpm, so the cyclone made it go up.

The diameter where you measured the flow on the DC was must have been larger than where you measured it on the cyclone.  Velocity decreases as the square of the diameter increases.  

John
Was not about dust/chips. Was about threats and crass, inappropriate behavior.
(11-29-2022, 12:32 AM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: Was not about dust/chips. Was about threats and crass, inappropriate behavior.

I remember a couple of those threads. Some people get very "passionate" about dust collection!
You call it passionate. Bat shirt crazy was more like it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-30-2022, 01:22 PM)blackhat Wrote: You call it passionate. Bat shirt crazy was more like it.

I like your description better, blackhat! 
Big Grin