Death by lathe - Be careful out there
Sad 
Just a reminder to keep safety as a priority.

I don't have any more details than what is in the articles.

https://www.wwltv.com/amp/article/news/l...2a2986b796

https://www.fox8live.com/2022/11/30/past...oner-says/
Thanks for the reminder.

I hope that more info about what happened eventually comes out.

It has been a long time since we had 2 deaths and a broken jaw in one 6-month time period from woodturning. I was hoping that the streak would continue.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-01-2022, 12:00 AM)iclark Wrote: Thanks for the reminder.

I hope that more info about what happened eventually comes out.

It has been a long time since we had 2 deaths and a broken jaw in one 6-month time period from woodturning. I was hoping that the streak would continue.
Lathes and bandsaws are so much fun to use that many people ignore the fact that they can be dangerous unless the operator dedicates all his attention to safety.......
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You DO NOT want to search the internet for images of metal lathe accidents!
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(12-01-2022, 12:25 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
Lathes and bandsaws are so much fun to use that many people ignore the fact that they can be dangerous unless the operator dedicates all his attention to safety.......

All too true. Sadly, it is hard to convey the concept of "staying out of the line of fire." Of the 3 accidents that I mentioned, one of the deaths and the broken jaw both involved a blank that came apart and not wearing a face shield. IIRC, the other death had the causal factor being catching her hair in the work.

It certainly does not help that most of the hobbyist lathes require crossing the line of fire to reach the on/off switch or the speed control.

(12-01-2022, 01:03 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: You DO NOT want to search the internet for images of metal lathe accidents!

I will not be doing that. Thank you. I heard enough about them growing up. I don't have a need to see them.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
This is sad and a stark reminder that you must *always* be aware of your surroundings and consider safety first above all other work habits. If you get that tingle or hesitation that something doesn't seem right - STOP! It could just be YOUR life you save.

Lathe's have so much potential inertial mass (is that the right stored energy? - I forget now) that extremely bad outcomes happen so fast.

RIP
Sad

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem