Sticker Shock
I got a Woodcraft brochure in the mail today.  There's no local store here anymore so I haven't bought from them in several years, but I leafed through the brochure to see what was new.  What was new were the prices.  Holy cow.  GF's Arm-R-Seal for $33.99 per QUART, EnduroVar II for, hold on to your wallet, $53.99 per quart.  Yes, you read that right.  These prices are 2X what they were pre pandemic.  

I buy most finishes by the gallon now, and today I got reminded why.   

John
Yeh. I had to replace some 2x6s in my deck this past summer. At that time the price on 10 footers was $22 each. I put it off for a while.
You been livin under a rock for the last 6-12 months ?........
Confused

Prices on everything are up this year, not just GF products or hobby supplies.   Diesel is $5+ a gallon which adds a measurable amt. to the price of whatever you want to buy whether you go get it off the shelf or click it on your computer screen for delivery.
(11-27-2022, 01:48 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: You been livin under a rock for the last 6-12 months ?........
Confused

Prices on everything are up this year, not just GF products or hobby supplies.   Diesel is $5+ a gallon which adds a measurable amt. to the price of whatever you want to buy whether you go get it off the shelf or click it on your computer screen for delivery.

Hardly, but those prices are insane.  I bought Osmo 6 months ago and the price is the same now and was the same a year ago.  Maybe it was overpriced to start with.  Lumber is cheaper now than a year ago, though still higher than pre-pandemic.  Even doubling the price of diesel doesn't account for doubling the price of finishes.  My groceries have gone up less than 10%, not that that is good.  I think it's more about opportunism.  You raise prices when you can, regardless of whether or not your costs have increased.  The market will tell you if your prices are out of line.  We'll know over the next year or two.

John
While I liked Arm-r-seal....GF is history to me, no stores anymore within an hours drive from me.
Yea, the last time I bought their water based....stunned me a bit.

Ed
(11-27-2022, 03:47 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Hardly, but those prices are insane.  I bought Osmo 6 months ago and the price is the same now and was the same a year ago.  Maybe it was overpriced to start with.  Lumber is cheaper now than a year ago, though still higher than pre-pandemic.  Even doubling the price of diesel doesn't account for doubling the price of finishes.  My groceries have gone up less than 10%, not that that is good.  I think it's more about opportunism.  You raise prices when you can, regardless of whether or not your costs have increased.  The market will tell you if your prices are out of line.  We'll know over the next year or two.

John

It's difficult to explain the level of inflation simply as a result of supply chain issues when corporate profits are at all-time high.
(11-30-2022, 08:50 PM)BassMD Wrote: It's difficult to explain the level of inflation simply as a result of supply chain issues when corporate profits are at all-time high.

It's also difficult (impossible) to explain inflation simply as result of recent corporate greed.  Margins, mkt. concentration, an profits have been rising steadily since the mid 80's , yet we've seen and enjoyed very low inflation over the same period.

To be sure, co.'s are taking advantage of the recent market conditions to keep price high (or raise them) - just get a transcript of any corp. earnings call the last few quarters for confirmation.  But that alone doesn't account for the inflationary cycle we're in right now. 

Bottom line, if we want to curb inflation - stop buying stuff that's absolutely not necessary.   It's extremely tough for consumers to do that that though. Few have the discipline.

Remember that big corp. profits help boost our pensions, retirement accounts, and stock portfolios.
(11-25-2022, 11:46 PM)Willyou Wrote: Yeh. I had to replace some 2x6s in my deck this past summer. At that time the price on 10 footers was $22 each. I put it off for a while.

I got a deck that has been framed for two years now, waiting on decking to go back closer to 2019 prices so I can afford to finish it.
A carpenter's house is never done.
And its even worse if you spend a minute to do the liters/quarts conversion:

Osmo-Polyx: $54.99 for .75 liters

a little math.....

Osmo-Polyx: roughly $70/quart! And thats before the Governor get his cut, which in Connecticut, would make this can of paint the equivalent of $74/quart out the door.
(12-03-2022, 01:45 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: And its even worse if you spend a minute to do the liters/quarts conversion:

Osmo-Polyx: $54.99 for .75 liters

a little math.....

Osmo-Polyx: roughly $70/quart! And thats before the Governor get his cut, which in Connecticut, would make this can of paint the equivalent of $74/quart out the door.

Seems really expensive, doesn't it?  But once you use it you understand that it's not because it covers far more area than an equivalent amount of most other finishes.  That cherry bench I just made used less than 25 ml per coat.  That's less than 1 ounce.  To do it with most any varnish I can think of, including my favorite, Arm-R-Seal, would take at least 3 or 4 ounces.  So doing the math.  ARS at $34/qt would be $3.19 - 4.25/coat.  Osmo at $74/quart would be $1.93/coat.  Surprised?    

John