Pergo Laminate Flooring
Good afternoon folks - looking to install laminate flooring in a bedroom and found some pergo laminate flooring that LOML likes.  Its a 12 mil laminate.  Cost is $2.99 a sq ft.  I did some googling and there seemed to be a lot of negative reviews on everything from buckling to chipping.  I also found some ratings that rated pergo the best overall laminate.

Anyone have any experience/opinions on Pergo lminate>

Thanks
Rick

LVP (Luxury vinyl plank) has pretty much pushed laminates to the curb. I have installed and had both. I like the LVP much better. LVP lays better and tends to settle in the low areas when laminate will bridge the low area. So you always get that "mobile home floor feel" when walking on laminate. LVP is also 100% water proof. The better laminates and LVPs both wear very well. LVP is much easier to install because you can score and snap it with a utility knife. Laminate is brutal on carbide tipped saws. LVP is also quieter, not a lot bot it's noticeable. Dogs also don't wipe out as much on LVP vs Laminate.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Are you going to butt up against any tile?
VH07V  
(01-16-2023, 01:14 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Are you going to butt up against any tile?

No - not butting against tile.  intersects with a hallway laminate that will have a transition piece.
Rick

(01-15-2023, 07:50 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: LVP (Luxury vinyl plank) has pretty much pushed laminates to the curb. I have installed and had both. I like the LVP much better. LVP lays better and tends to settle in the low areas when laminate will bridge the low area. So you always get that "mobile home floor feel" when walking on laminate. LVP is also 100% water proof. The better laminates and LVPs both wear very well. LVP is much easier to install because you can score and snap it with a utility knife. Laminate is brutal on carbide tipped saws. LVP is also quieter, not a lot bot it's noticeable. Dogs also don't wipe out as much on LVP vs Laminate.

Any experience with Pergo laminates?
Rick

(01-16-2023, 04:37 AM)Rick_B Wrote: Any experience with Pergo laminates?

I've not used Pergo, but have used a couple brands from HomeDepot over the years (Tarkett and Home Decorators Collection).  Both seemed to wear fine and stand up to dog nails.  No other issues.  I would expect laminates today to be very similar... one not significantlly better than the others.  

Walking on the laminate can sound 'clicky' with the right shoes on, but that's a small price to pay (in my opinion).  I am a hater of vinyl planking under any circumstances.
(01-16-2023, 07:24 AM)KC Wrote: I've not used Pergo, but have used a couple brands from HomeDepot over the years (Tarkett and Home Decorators Collection).  Both seemed to wear fine and stand up to dog nails.  No other issues.  I would expect laminates today to be very similar... one not significantlly better than the others.  

Walking on the laminate can sound 'clicky' with the right shoes on, but that's a small price to pay (in my opinion).  I am a hater of vinyl planking under any circumstances.

Curious about the why behind your feelings about vinyl - specifically LVP?

Thanks
Rick
Rick

(01-16-2023, 04:37 AM)Rick_B Wrote: Any experience with Pergo laminates?

Yes. Just like any laminate manufacture, you get what you pay for. They have the lower end and the higher end offerings. The higher end has a thicker wear layer and a more water resistance wood core. I really don't see a quality difference between pergo and any other top brand. Stay away from the cheap stuff, if it gets wet, the exposed ends will swell.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

+1for LVP
It is also water proof / resistant so excellent for laundry, bathrooms etc. If you choose a nice thicker product with a good underlayment it has a very solid feel underfoot. Much closer to the feel of actual hardwood than any laminate I’ve ever walked on.

Sam
(01-16-2023, 07:24 AM)KC Wrote: I am a hater of vinyl planking under any circumstances.

Why? The new vinyl planks are really durable.

... Kizar Sosay