Disston Saw ID
I am not a hand saw guy.  A few years ago, this saw shows up in my shop: (sorry I don't know how to post pictures)
* Disston nickel plated badge with two stars
* 5 screws
* Wheat pattern
* 26" plate
* 9tpi
The handle looks "cheap" and basically unused.
I cannot read anything on the plate (very dark discoloring but no pitting), so my questions: how do you clean the plate and what can you gather from the details shared?

I want to soften the edges on the handle and put on a new finish, is that a bad idea?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-08-2023, 11:29 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I am not a hand saw guy.  A few years ago, this saw shows up in my shop: (sorry I don't know how to post pictures)
* Disston nickel plated badge with two stars
* 5 screws
* Wheat pattern
* 26" plate
* 9tpi
The handle looks "cheap" and basically unused.
I cannot read anything on the plate (very dark discoloring but no pitting), so my questions: how do you clean the plate and what can you gather from the details shared?

I want to soften the edges on the handle and put on a new finish, is that a bad idea?

I've used a wadded up ball of aluminum foil plus Autosol polish to clean plates. It is still abrasive so it can affect the etch. But generally a more gentile  scrub than sandpaper. And to remove stuck on gunk like dirt & paint I use a single edge razor blade, just like you'd use to scrape paint from window panes.

The Disstonian Institute may be of some help to you in dating the saw.

If you want to send me the pics I can post them here for you. I will PM an email.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-08-2023, 11:29 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I want to soften the edges on the handle and put on a new finish, is that a bad idea?

Probably a late model saw - 1950s or later.  Earlier saws had brass medallions.

As to reshaping the handle - sure, why not?  From your description, it's not hardly a collectible saw, and, if you find it's working well for you, a more comfortable handle will make it work even better.  Rasp, sandpaper, etc. are your friends.  The area of the handle that you grip, on the older saws, is often oval, without any flat parts.  Play with it, try it, play with it, and repeat until you find a shape that works for you.
Saw MIGHT be a late model D-23?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thank you gentlemen, as soon as I have some time, I clean up the saw.  I will do some before and after shots and get them to Rob.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
As far as cleaning the plate goes, a razor scraper to remove surface rust, then a very light wet sanding with WD-40 as a lubricant. If your are too aggressive when sanding, there's a risk of removing the etch. One trick I learned that can help to refresh the etch is to use gun bluing solution. Apply to the etched area, then very lightly sand away to reveal the etch.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill