Honing Guide
Looking for a new Honing guide, see what woodworkers are using on this forum

I have a generic Honing guide which is tuned and works good, but not good on small chisels. 
I have wet Jet grinder which is also limited on small chisels. 

Looking for any suggestions.
I use the Lie Nielsen on my Shapton stones, mostly because that is what the guy who taught me how to sharpen effectively used. Works well. I have a few chisels with skews that aren't quite the same as the LN skew jaw angles, and I just free hand sharpen those. Though if you had a bunch of skewed blades, I gather the Lee Valley guide with its top clamping action can handle a broad range of skew angles.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I was able to play with the Sharp Skate guide by nano-hone overcthe weekend and it's very impressive. Price at the woodworking show was $160 and if I didn't have one of Jim Ritter's guides I would have bought it. Definitely worth looking into.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I've used the Veritas guide for several years and I like it a lot. But it clamps to the blade on the top and bottom of the blade vs the sides and sometimes it's a challenge to get both clamping surfaces parallel to securely hold your blade or chisel. More of an issue with chisels, which may not have parallel tops and bottoms. I recently purchased a LN honing guide and will try that soon. While it appears to be the Eclipse type design, it's larger and more robust and definitely heavier than a $10-15 Eclipse style guide.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-28-2023, 04:07 PM)AHill Wrote: I've used the Veritas guide for several years and I like it a lot.  But it clamps to the blade on the top and bottom of the blade vs the sides and sometimes it's a challenge to get both clamping surfaces parallel to securely hold your blade or chisel.  More of an issue with chisels, which may not have parallel tops and bottoms.  I recently purchased a LN honing guide and will try that soon.  While it appears to be the Eclipse type design, it's larger and more robust and definitely heavier than a $10-15 Eclipse style guide.

I bought the narrow blade guide for the Veritas, and use it on chisels as small as 1/8th,  and it does a fantastic job.  https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Narro...54C17.aspx
I also use the Veritas guide, standard and narrow blade. Very easy to use, well made and works very well.
The clunky Veritas honing guide departed my bench years ago to be replaced by the LN guide, and have never looked back.  The LN guide does not hold generic chisels very well, so I do have a (genuine) Eclipse jig for those.  The top-bearing clamp on the Veritas was not reliable on narrow blades.  Doesn't Veritas now have a side-clamping jig?  You could look at that.
if the sides of the chisel are rectangular to the mirror side, the kellhoning guide is just perfect for thin chisels:

[Image: IMG_20230330_211102.jpg]

Take Care
Pedder
I have used both the Lie Nielsen and the Kell with very good results.
Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful

Looks like Lie Nielson honing guide with addition of Narrow jaws can sharpen narrow chisels well
Lie Nielson Honing guide $ 150 + Narrow Jaws $ 45 = $ 195

Other option will be Lee Valley MK II guide plus Narrow guide   $ 75 + $ 55 = $ 130.00

Third option is interesting “ Kell Honing Guide  which can do Narrow chisel 1/8 th to plane Iron 2.5 inches wide   approximately $ 125.00  I only found one source in USA.

Now I have decide which one.