Tripped GFCI Outlet?
I've got an exterior GFCI outlet that wont reset. I get the red light flash when I try.
I assume that means I've got a short in the line somewhere?  Is this something I can diagnose myself, or should I call an electrician?

(04-11-2023, 06:29 AM)David Stone Wrote: I've got an exterior GFCI outlet that wont reset. I get the red light flash when I try.
I assume that means I've got a short in the line somewhere?  Is this something I can diagnose myself, or should I call an electrician?

Is the exterior outlet a few years old, say 5 or more?  In my experience, exterior GFCI outlets have a limited lifespan.  That lifespan probably depends on environmental factors.  But I would probably just replace it before digging any deeper, as a reasonably low cost troubleshooting move.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(04-11-2023, 06:53 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Is the exterior outlet a few years old, say 5 or more?  In my experience, exterior GFCI outlets have a limited lifespan.  That lifespan probably depends on environmental factors.  But I would probably just replace it before digging any deeper, as a reasonably low cost troubleshooting move.

Mark

I absolutely agree with Mark. I have had to replace a few, all in exterior applications...
Thanks.  That sounds like a good option.

I bought one last week at HD. $20! Ugh!

I would check the breaker is properly reset.
And check if there are downstream outlets that need attention, like if the GFCI is first in a chain, the downstream outlets may be causing an issue. If you are willing to open it up you can disconnect the load side if there is one and see if the issue persists. Try to localize if the issue is with that one outlet or elsewhere.
(04-11-2023, 01:16 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I bought one last week at HD.  $20!  Ugh!
I had to purchase 25 GFCIs. Got them on Amazon for about $8 each.
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
It's got a red light so it's got power. Replace the GFCI receptacle. They don't last forever, especially outside.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-14-2023, 10:14 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: I had to purchase 25 GFCIs.  Got them on Amazon for about $8 each.

bet they weren't outdoor rated ones
Laugh
(04-16-2023, 08:23 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: bet they weren't outdoor rated ones
Laugh

Not for $8.00. Had no idea you could even buy one that cheap. I feel dirty when I cheap out and buy a crummy $17 gfci
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay