Vintage Dewalt RAS table brackets
I just picked up a mid 50's AMF DeWalt MBF 228 Radial Arm Saw. However, it doesn't have the table, and more importantly, the bracket or other table hardware.
I've got the Mr. Sawdust book and want to make the new table recommended. Does anyone know of a source for the table hardware or can suggest a substitute?
(05-13-2024, 01:09 PM)ahartung Wrote: I just picked up a mid 50's AMF DeWalt MBF 228 Radial Arm Saw. However, it doesn't have the table, and more importantly, the bracket or other table hardware.
I've got the Mr. Sawdust book and want to make the new table recommended. Does anyone know of a source for the table hardware or can suggest a substitute?

What do the brackets look like? 

Would they be hard to make?

Curious as I know there are quite a few people that also dabble in metal working as well as woodworking that may be able to help.
Not exactly sure what they look like as I don't have them, and most photos of restorations of it show it with the table on.

Here is the parts photo from the manual, which isn't much help. I don't have any of the parts in it.

When i bought my 1957 Dewalt GWI, the table bracket arms (T10 in your drawing) were replacements that someone had fabricated.  The table that was on it was bolted directly to the arms.  From either Kunkel's book (Mr. Sawdust) or Jon Eakes' book i was able to figure out the appropriate jacking system for mounting the table in a way that could be leveled.  The Dewalt RAS forum (on Delphi Forums) was very helpful in finding the books, and i'd be willing to bet someone on there either has a spare set of arms or can fabricate a set.  Miine are just flat 1/4" bar stock that was drilled and threaded--but i'd have never had the metal skill to do it myself.

Attaching photo of the brackets how i found them--bracket bolted direct to frame, table had been bolted to them.  Second pic is with the brackets mounted to the new table top, then threaded studs to mount that assembly to the frame--which allows for proper levelling of the table to the saw arbor.  Hope this helps!!

***Pics are too large to upload here--if you want, PM me your e-mail and i'll e-mail them.  Will try to resize in a while--got to head into town now.
I think i figured out how to resize!!

Thank you.

Mine is the smaller saw, so I'm guessing I'd only need two. However I don't have the tools to work with bar stock.
Yep, MBF only needs 2. I'm with you, no metal working tools or skill. That's where the Dewalt RAS forum would be very helpful--i'd bet there's at least a handful of folks on that board that have spares, and another handful who could make what you need in under an hour. If not for that group, i'd have had trouble figuring out the correct mounting though--they really helped me understand what Wally Kunkel was saying about how to set the bolts up, and that made flattening the table a breeze!!
The brackets do not nee to be an iron bar under the table. If you look at the ones they put on a subsequent model (the 925) they are little more than a piece of angle iron...one side bolts the frame, the other to the table. Here's set of 925 brackets on e bay (this if for illustration, not suggesting you buy them...though i guess you could if you wanted to). Having had both saws (9265 and an MBF) I can tell you the 925 brackets work just as well and they are actually a little easier to djet to get the table tuned.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-15-2024, 06:07 AM)fredhargis Wrote: The brackets do not nee to be an iron bar under the table. If you look at the ones they put on a subsequent model (the 925) they are little more than a piece of angle iron...one side bolts the frame, the other to the table. Here's set of 925 brackets on e bay (this if for illustration, not suggesting you buy them...though i guess you could if you wanted to). Having had both saws (9265 and an MBF) I can tell you the 925 brackets work just as well and they are actually a little easier to djet to get the table tuned.

Those on the 'Bay even still have the fence clamps attached.  Good to know the 925 brackets work.  I don't need another RAS, but if i run across a quality deal on an MBF or GWI near me from 1956 (my birth year), i'd probably buy it to go with the '57.  I have my Dad's 1946 Atlas--but it's just tucked into a corner and i've dragged my feet on having a few blades made for its 3/4" arbor.
I might be able to make those if I can figure out some kind of fence clamp. I'd have to drill the sides of the base though.

There is a set for my saw on eBay too, but with shipping it is over twice what I paid for the saw .