Where is everyone????
Writing as a newbie (though not so much by age), I come here seeking advice, guidance, and inspiration from others (of any age, but more talent, insight, and/or experience). When people post end results, they trigger oohs and aahs, and provide inspiration. When people like Bandit, Derek, John, etc., post their processes, those are posts I dig into, and sometimes post questions to. Even when I don't post questions, I'm reading, analyzing photos, parsing text, to learn, and appreciating very much.

Perhaps, Derek, you might dig up a question or two I've asked when I didn't understand your process or decision. I'm seeking to understand, not be a smart-a** or know-it-all.

Thanks to all of you who post your build-alongs. And thanks to all of you who answer questions and provide guidance. You might not know it, but you're appreciated.
(07-08-2024, 09:41 AM)Pedder Wrote: A forum is a place to exchange and to chat. To ask questions and get answers.

There is little use in showing of my own work without questions.
Everybody is saying "oh, nice",
and the thread dies direstly after that.

You need a number of newbies to run a living forum as much as a few ones to know everything and to answer.

Giving answers to not asked questions is the field of Youtube and Instagram.

When fora started and mailings lists beforem, there was nothing to consume in the internet.
And no way to participate for usual handtool worker. Then came blogs and face book and Instagram.
If I look for any task o google, the first three pages are youtube.

We are here, we know the answers, but nobody asks.

AND I think the culture changed from an asking culture to a showing off culture.

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder.

The works that both you individually and you with your partner have shared with us are very much appreciated. They are works of craftsmanship that rise to the level of art. It is inspirational to see such beautifully crafted tools.

I have learned from the discussions that centered around the pieces that you shared, the concepts that you shared about the designs (things like hang angle and grip) have helped educate me about what to look for when shopping for used saws (saws possibly in my budget). When Blacky's Boy was posting about his start up business for saw plates and saw backs, I had a better understanding about what he was doing thanks to you and others here.

A few decades ago, my wife and I were blessed with the opportunity to help Kelly Freas (a professional science fiction illustrator) after his wife died. That included seeing works in progress as well as seeing him making art with an air brush. Kelly was a remarkable artist and I developed a deeper understanding of how art can be conceived and executed. That deepened my appreciation of art in general and his art in particular. That said, I have no delusion that I have the skill to do what he did.

Similarly, I have no delusion that I could emulate what you make (even at the basic functional level). Even trying would likely mean giving up my woodworking time at the lathe and at the workbench.

So, I express my deep appreciation of your work when you choose to share with us. If you don't mention it (and no one beat me to it in the thread) I will ask about the wood that you used. That is the part of what I learn from you and others that I can try to apply to my efforts.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Hi

thank you for the kind words, but that was not the main subject of my entry.
An yes, I will show the next saw. Didin't make one for 3 month due to health issues

Cheers
Pedder
"Peak Knots Forum" was invoked in either this thread or another.  As I recall those years, there were hardly any build-along threads at all.  I don't think they will 'save' any forum today.

They're fun, to a point.  Most go beyond that point. The unfortunate reality today is that still photography build-alongs are easily outdone by well produced videos on YouTube and elsewhere, assuming you're interested in that sort of thing in the first place.  18th century reproduction masterpieces, workbenches, chairs, etc. not much missing.  You can find sole practitioners, small, automated shops, large production shops, Japanese masters, pretty much whatever floats your boat.  Turning, carving, veneering, fretting -- video is the way to go.  Still photography a total waste of time for these things.  If I'm having trouble with a skew, I want to watch Richard Raffan work out the kinks for me, or maybe Curtis Buchanan.  Why waste valuable time when I can see it being done in real time by recognized experts?  Check my own technique, etc.  Richard Maguire chopping and fixing mortises, ditto Marc Adams.  Dovetail cutting galore and in more detail than you could ever present in a series of photos. Contrary to assertions otherwise, it's easy to skip over video by obvious amateurs and avoid blind-leading-the-blind syndrome. There are enough videos by the proverbial 'recognized names' at this point. And once you click on a few, YT will feed you a steady stream of videos just like them.
(07-08-2024, 10:52 AM)bandit571 Wrote: WHO the bloody H are you talking about?   More likely it is a post like YOU just put up, that makes others stay away from here?  

Keyboards at 10 Paces?  

BTW:  IF you had taken the time ( rare, I know) to actually READ what was being talked about in that Cherry-picked post...I was talking about the poster's Night Stands...had ZERO to do with Derek...Go back and LOOK at Wing Nut's Night stands...which is who I was talking to....

Sounds like YOU are the one to do a wee bit of research, BEFORE you type anything....and insert foot.

Calm down, Bandit.  When you post things like you did (including this quoted post), it would help if you actually quoted the post or cited the person you are referring to.  That would mitigate any confusion as to whom you are referring to.  That said, I'm not going to retract what I said.  I didn't cherry pick what I quoted.  It was your entire post, which didn't refer to any particular individual.  One had to assume - just like I'm assuming this quoted post referred to me.

I'm glad you're posting your projects here.  They are instructive and useful for many wanting to learn how to use hand tools in woodworking.  I simply don't have the time to do that, since I work 12 hour days.  it's a lot of work to create the photos and upload them to a post.  I know - I've done that before several years ago when i had the time.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I cheeck in now an then. Macular-degeneration has pretty much eliminated my ability to read and screen readers seem to have trouble with forum software. The learning curve of being legally blind is and has been steep. Depth perception is shot and detail vision is gone.

Need to find other pursuits.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
This is 2024. If you want to document a build then buy a GoPro, video it, and post it on YouTube. Provide a link here.

This is interesting. A bunch of stills, not so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVOrp_o2dtE

WATCH IT TO THE END.

Forums need to be a place where the young man in the video might like to come and share his knowledge and approach.

Fair disclosure: I turn 63 on Thursday.

I am not the future of woodworking forums. Old men waving their arms about are not the future of forums. Be big enough to encourage the next generation.
I am neither set up to do any video in the shop, nor is there any Budget for such things...

And, I am so sure anybody would want to sit and watch this sort of stuff...

They wouldn't stick around to the end..

It is what it is....That is why the shop is known as The Dungeon Woodshop...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I would be posting, if I were able to continue woodworking. I still prowl around here, hoping I can contribute in some small way. Even if it’s just praising Derek’s craftsmanship and design skills, or expressing awe at Pedder’s saws.
Smile
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(07-09-2024, 07:36 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I am neither set up to do any video in the shop, nor is there any Budget for such things...

And, I am so sure anybody would want to sit and watch this sort of stuff...

They wouldn't stick around to the end..

It is what it is....That is why the shop is known as The Dungeon Woodshop...

That's fine, but if you want to understand why people don't frequent forums then you've been shown the answer.

If you've ever posted a build-along and then chastised a forum for a low-level unenthusiastic response, then you've been shown the answer.

Pick whichever shoe fits. Or none at all.

Last night was the first time I ever saw that video. I went to YouTube and typed "build a table" in the search box. There were at least 20+ just as promising videos on the first two pages of search hits. People are building furniture at a very high level, in seriously well-equipped shops, and have the skills to video it while they do it. They are not in it for forum views.

You might not like it, but it's not going away.

Might also be time to pick a forum and be loyal to it -- don't post build threads on two or three different forums (seems like a lot of work, too, and time consuming). If people are interested in following the latest build from "Steven at the Dungeon Workshop" they know they can find you in only one place -- XYZ Forum. If you feel the need to be everywhere all at once, then do YouTube and post links on forums. It's hard to follow your builds on different forums. Posters on one forum might ask you interesting questions, and you give an interesting response, that people on another forum where the same build is also posted never see. That doesn't seem right. Seems like other motives are in play.

Here's more entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...ure+makers