Where is everyone????
I still visit this site, almost daily. But I rarely post or even reply. Agree with what other have said, this place ain't what it used to be and it never will be again. Times change I suppose, but I'll continue to lurk here as long as the forum hangs on.
I began reading and posting here in the mid-1980's.  My recollection is that this forum was packed with hand-tool info that centered on primarily vintage hand tools; how to use them; where to find them; how to restore them; and selling them in the  For-Sale sub-forum.  This was soon supplemented by workbench building information, and was heavily influenced by Chris Schwarz and his early publications.  Along with those topics came the influence of Thomas Lie-Nielsen and his ever-expanding selection of incredible hand tools.  All of these topics and personalities drew a very large contingent of contributors and followers.  YouTube was not a factor at all, and would not be for many years.  All but a few of those forum participants are gone now, as we all know.  Some have aged-out, some gone to other forums or media, or have simply decided to actually work in their shops and make their own rewards.  Lastly, age and health may have changed circumstances for some.

I was a regular participant in a Chicago woodworking club for over 20 years until I moved to Indianapolis to be closer to family.  The Chicago club still carries on with a vibrant hand-tool special interest group within the club.  The much larger club in Indy is more interested in making simple toys for children, or woodworking with lasers than they are in forming a hand-tool user's group in 2024.  It seems they never caught the hand-tool wave, and aren't likely to now.
I now check in periodically, having gone mostly blind from AMD, Readubg us nearly impossible and typic something readable is painfully slo.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
[attachment=51787 Wrote:

bandit571 pid='8191265' dateline='1720389954']Maybe a post to describe how YOU build them?   They do look good, though...

these will show some of the steps, the top was kinda rustic claro walnut so I used appoxy to fill in voids, the pix may be out of order but the panels are planed with a #4 and shoulder plane, the mortises use a home grown jig, tenons on a table saw,

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-12-2024, 06:07 PM)wing nut Wrote: these will show some of the steps, the top was kinda rustic claro walnut so I used appoxy to fill in voids, the pix may be out of order but the panels are planed with a #4 and shoulder plane, the mortises use a home grown jig, tenons on a table saw,
sorry for a couple of dups,
panels reclaimed red maple out of 1890s bankbarn out of pittsburg pa, claro walnut from PNW, hard maple PNW, black walnut prob tenn.

Attached Files Image(s)

[attachment=51805 Wrote:[attachment=51806][attachment=51807]

wing nut pid='8191770' dateline='1720826041']sorry for a couple of dups,
panels reclaimed red maple out of 1890s bankbarn out of pittsburg pa, claro walnut from PNW, hard maple PNW, black walnut prob tenn.

Some of the other projects over the last 3 or so years, their all done essentially the same way

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-12-2024, 02:28 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I began reading and posting here in the mid-1980's. 

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Before Web 2.0

Cheers
Pedder
So...where am I today?   Well...I have Laundry Detail, today...and while things are in the Washing Machine...I tend to "linger around" in the shop....until it is time to load stuff into the Clothes Dryer....after which I tend to head upstairs and process a few Photos...until after the Dryer is done.  Also have a couple loads of Scraps & Shavings to haul out to the Fire Pit, for the 1800hrs burn....

Local County Fair is about done...and it kind of affected the Garage Sales around here....Maybe Next weekend?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-13-2024, 08:43 AM)bandit571 Wrote: So...where am I today?   Well...I have Laundry Detail, today...and while things are in the Washing Machine...I tend to "linger around" in the shop....until it is time to load stuff into the Clothes Dryer....after which I tend to head upstairs and process a few Photos...until after the Dryer is done.  Also have a couple loads of Scraps & Shavings to haul out to the Fire Pit, for the 1800hrs burn....

Local County Fair is about done...and it kind of affected the Garage Sales around here....Maybe Next weekend?

I guess with so little response this site,  especialy this thread, is mostly dead now, I think I will sign off now, I know, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
"So little response to this site"?   Look in the mirror...

Maybe IF MORE people would start to post their OWN items here...maybe all those Nay-sayers will gang up on all the new posts....

Until that happens, this is just Motel 6, and I am just keeping the lights on for you.

Complain about the content?   POST the Content YOU are interested in, then....

What tools have YOU bought lately?  How do they preform for YOU.

What Projects have YOU done, or, are working on?

What Lumber are YOU using?  (Right now, I am using Ash)

Yep, I am calling people out.

And..don't give that line about not enough time to take Photos....I spent LESS than 2 hours IN my shop...that INCLUDES taking all them lovely Photos...and, while I am then sitting down at the computer, having a cold one, and trying to cool myself down...I process all those photos.   Take the bloody camera along to the shop, the next time you happen to stumble into it...and MAYBE either show off what you are working on, or the shop you are working in.  Maybe start a "Project in Progress" thread? It is not THAT hard to do, as even I can do it.  As for me?

Wir haben zu arbeiten
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that