Calling all Riverside County, CA woodworkers, paid project
A friend of mine bought a working 1900s Cabinet Victrola and wants to restore it.  It appears to be figured White Oak, mostly veneer.  He lives in Lake Elsinore. I think maybe the shelves could be restored but the doors are veneered ply.  I have no idea what the green is.  it has no top but he would like one made as in the pic below.  If it were me, I'd use the existing carcass as a template and find some big leaf maple with tiger striping.  Peterman and Reel will let you cull through and pick pieces.  In any event, he's looking to make it "like new".  I have no interest in tackling this but maybe someone out there is.  I have more pics but they are too large to post.  PM me for more details

(8 hours ago)Kizar_Sozay Wrote: A friend of mine bought a working 1900s Cabinet Victrola and wants to restore it.  It appears to be figured White Oak, mostly veneer.  He lives in Lake Elsinore. I think maybe the shelves could be restored but the doors are veneered ply.  I have no idea what the green is.  it has no top but he would like one made as in the pic below.  If it were me, I'd use the existing carcass as a template and find some big leaf maple with tiger striping.  Peterman and Reel will let you cull through and pick pieces.  In any event, he's looking to make it "like new".  I have no interest in tackling this but maybe someone out there is.  I have more pics but they are too large to post.  PM me for more details

Can't help you out, the piece was made with what looks like white oak, with at least some of it quarter sawn.  So if he wants it like new, that's what should be used.  

The green looks like maybe it was painted once.  I see missing veneer on the lower left door, too.  Restoring that is going to take serious effort, i.e. $'s.  He might be money ahead to have someone build a completely new cabinet.  

John
(6 hours ago)jteneyck Wrote: Can't help you out, the piece was made with what looks like white oak, with at least some of it quarter sawn.  So if he wants it like new, that's what should be used.  

The green looks like maybe it was painted once.  I see missing veneer on the lower left door, too.  Restoring that is going to take serious effort, i.e. $'s.  He might be money ahead to have someone build a completely new cabinet.  

John

I hope I can talk him into just using the existing as a template to make a new one out of some other material.  Do you think he'd go for melamine?
(5 hours ago)Kizar_Sozay Wrote: Do you think he'd go for melamine?

Better yet; 3D print it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.