door strike plate repair
There is a 4-year-old in my home. Home story short, I have several door frames that have been damaged by breaking the strike plate portion of the frame.

I was thinking about cutting the damaged portions out and inserting a blank. Has anyone done this? Is there a better way to fix the frames? Thanks in advance.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I have done that, it's some work to get it to look good (filling the seam) but it works. The toughest part for me was cutting the mortise, but I'm pretty sure I made it harder than it had to be. Then glue the dutchman in and recut the strike plate mortise.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-03-2024, 08:03 PM)5thumbs Wrote: There is a 4-year-old in my home. Home story short, I have several door frames that have been damaged by breaking the strike plate portion of the frame.

I was thinking about cutting the damaged portions out and inserting a blank. Has anyone done this? Is there a better way to fix the frames? Thanks in advance.

Is there anything special about the frame or is it the typical white wood finger jointed painted piece?
I’ve done dutchman and I’ve replaced the broken board.
I’ve also replaced the contractor grade jambs and frame with my own lumber using self-milled southern yellow pine, which is much stronger than the white wood.

Cutting in the dutchman is probably the fastest repair.
Take your time, cut the piece a hair large, then shave it in.
After painting, it’ll be hard to see.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(10-04-2024, 06:43 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Is there anything special about the frame or is it the typical white wood finger jointed painted piece?
I’ve done dutchman and I’ve replaced the broken board.
I’ve also replaced the contractor grade jambs and frame with my own lumber using self-milled southern yellow pine, which is much stronger than the white wood.

Cutting in the dutchman is probably the fastest repair.
Take your time, cut the piece a hair large, then shave it in.
After painting, it’ll be hard to see.

Gaey

As far as I can tell, it "whitewood"hing special.  Should be cheap[ to replace but, as  noted above, a bit lavor intensive, oh well, I'm retired so.....

Thanks to both of you for your help.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Can you use an over sized strike plate like this

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-9476-M...1_4?sr=8-4
(Yesterday, 07:31 AM)5thumbs Wrote: Gaey

As far as I can tell, it "whitewood"hing special.  Should be cheap[ to replace but, as  noted above, a bit lavor intensive, oh well, I'm retired so.....

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Cut the mortise on a piece of wood while on a bench. Make the mortised wood about 4"+ long. Mark the top and bottom of the piece on the jamb noting where the latch will be. Drill holes on the cut lines with a small drill , 1/8" or so. Keep the holes close together and chisel off the points left between holes. Don't worry if the cut line is ragged. Drill pilot and counter sink for 1-1/2" screws to install the Dutchman. Since this is paint grade , 
fill any gaps with Bondo. It will dry quickly. When completely dry , usually less than 1 hour you can sand it flush. When painted you will not be able see any gaps, the patch will be invisible.
(Yesterday, 10:27 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Can you use an over sized strike plate like this

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-9476-M...1_4?sr=8-4

You beat me to it
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS