3D Chessboard - progress picks
Here is is so far.

BIG THANK YOU TO jteneyck for the sweet piece of mahogany that I used!!!  The lighter wood is cedar.

I made the "strips" with some indexing blocks when I chopped them on my chop saw.  There are 8 strips in all.  You'll notice that as you move to the center of the board, the change in elevation slows down.  I thought about this a while and decided to use cut up playing cards to change the height ever so slightly.  7 cards acting a a spacer did the trick.  Thereafter the elevation changes dramatically, or back to it was.   I built a few jigs to manage the glue up but for a few I didn't properly clamp the sections down the the jig, so there is a slight gap in a few that I'm shaving ever so slightly on the TS.

It is important that the line all line up so you might notice in the full 8x8 shot it looks like the 2nd from the top is a little proud.  There will be some shaving/sanding that'll occur after the board is all glued up.

I'm thinking about gluing 2 strips at a time together then 4 then the final glue up.  I'd rather not attempt the whole thing at once.

Also I've included the picture I'm working from.  My table's elevation changes aren't as dramatic as the original.

(I don't plan on turninng/building the chess pieces but never say never!!)

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
Very cool!  I haven't played in probably fifty years, but that chessboard screams "come on, I dare ya".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Pretty cool, with all that end grain showing it will interesting to see the finished piece.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Interesting concept. I don't play chess but I could see how it could get a little confusing until you get used to the change in terrain.
(10-07-2024, 07:27 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Here is is so far.

BIG THANK YOU TO jteneyck for the sweet piece of mahogany that I used!!!  The lighter wood is cedar.

Have you considered "painting" the mahogany with a dye, uusin a small brush, to darken it a little.

When I built my vanity out of cherry, I mixed my own dye, and topped it off with Waterlox.

FWIW
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(10-07-2024, 06:28 PM)barnowl Wrote: Have you considered "painting" the mahogany with a dye, uusin a small brush, to darken it a little.

When I built my vanity out of cherry, I mixed my own dye, and topped it off with Waterlox.

FWIW

Hi Barn,

Well, I hadn't, but when i wiped Danish oil on some scraps of mahogany and the cedar, the contrast was pretty substantial.
Dumber than I appear
(Yesterday, 07:15 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi Barn,

Well, I hadn't, but when i wiped Danish oil on some scraps of mahogany and the cedar, the contrast was pretty substantial.

[Image: 51auGo5kuKL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg]
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]