Blanket Chest, sort of......
Beautiful piece. Nice collaboration between nature and a very talented craftsman.
Super!
Amazing!
DJW

"So I did what any sensible woodworker would do in my situation: drink." - Chris Yates
Superglide said:

The base is not attached yet, as I wasn't sure if I really liked it, but I think it will do.

IMO, the base helps "make" the whole chest, makes it almost look like it's floating. Can't imagine any other base that would work so well with it. Can't wait to see the pic of the interior.
"Well behaved women rarely make history."

You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.
Walnut burl is cool, Awesome piece
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Tell me what kind of beer you drink to get this kind of inspiration; I'm switching brands.
Here is a pic of the inside. You can see that I simply "walled" in the hole. Pic is of the hole on right side of box. Not finished yet, so be kind.....
Smile
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
It works wonderfully. You got the wood to stand out, and you made anyone looking at it see how wonderful the "defects" are by highlighting and echoing them in the base.

The conflict between a chest to keep blankets clean and safe, and the beautiful gaping holes in the corners, makes the viewer think. Are you planning to finish the inside with something like shellac, so as to show off the grain without smells that last?

Any time you get someone to see things in a new, unexpected, and valuable way, I think you can make a good case that it's art.
Absolutely stunning!

Providing a way for the enemy to die for their country since 1775.

LIL. Saw the first photo and thought "Okay, that's a pretty top."

Looked at the second and third pics and went "WOW!!!!! Stunning piece from the middle down!!" Those open corners and zig-zag base, wonderfully joined by the bullnose "shelf", just knock me out. IMHO that's an 12 on a 1-to-10 scale.

Your choice of wood, how you handle it as you are incorporating it into the design (by letting it be the design), the way you make a substantial chest look so light, the craftsmanship and execution --- everything is to like on this piece.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
"For true creativity, we have to think beyond our tools." - MsNomer -
"Measuring is the enemy of precision." - Chris Schwarz on story sticks -
"only one opinion counts, the one that pays." - daveferg -