Blanket Chest, sort of......
WoodMaw™ said:

IMO, the base helps "make" the whole chest, makes it almost look like it's floating. Can't imagine any other base that would work so well with it. Can't wait to see the pic of the interior.

+1. That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Inspirational.
Alan S said:

It works wonderfully. You got the wood to stand out, and you made anyone looking at it see how wonderful the "defects" are by highlighting and echoing them in the base.

The conflict between a chest to keep blankets clean and safe, and the beautiful gaping holes in the corners, makes the viewer think. Are you planning to finish the inside with something like shellac, so as to show off the grain without smells that last?

Any time you get someone to see things in a new, unexpected, and valuable way, I think you can make a good case that it's art.

Yes, inside of box is going to be finished with shellac. Might lay some aromatic Cedar in bottom also.

Because of all of you, I now must use the roll-up door to my shop instead of the regular door. My head will only fit the big door. Thank you all.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Really original and a great use of grain. Well done!
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Very very nice !!! Great job and ingenious use of the wood's natural defect!!!

P.S. I rarely comment on anything!!!
Mr. Splinter ? Will you please leave my finger !!!!
Wow! Did somebody say Wow already? Wow!

David in San Antonio

"Please grant me enough years in my body, patience in my heart, and talent in my hands, to make each of my creations achieve the beauty desired."
Superglide,
that Blanket Chest came out really nice. Others are correct, that is a piece of art...Well Done Sir!
Your heart will lead you astray and your mind will justify self, for compromise and rebellion dwell deep in the heart of man.

Robert
Thanks.

Here are a couple pics of the inside with a few coats of shellac.

Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Outstanding chest!!
I love the live edge.

Hope you find peace, love and happiness,
bmg
Wow; that’s a master piece, show it off, that will be a heirloom
Professional at making sawdust!!!!