Enclosed Shaker Bookcases
The painting of the office, that is.......I had to read that several times to be sure....

They look great!

Ag
AgGEM said:

The painting of the office, that is.......I had to read that several times to be sure....

They look great!

Ag

Oh you mean vs painting these? Yeah, that would be over my dead body! The finishing schedule i used on these was . . . involved. So if they ever get painted it will have to be after I've left this world!
You don't need a parachute to go skydiving unless you want to do it more than once. . .
SeaBee1 said:

Very nice! I really like the cove crown. Was it done with hand tools or machine? And if by hand, what tools?

Best regards

CB

Thanks CB. This was my first cove of this size and it was cut on the tablesaw using the angled-fence technique. Once roughed in I cleaned them up with a goose-neck scraper which was the clear ticket for a cove like this.

I have everything I need for a half-set of molding planes so someday I will hopefully be making my moldings with those, but for now the marching orders are house furniture and not more tools

Reed
You don't need a parachute to go skydiving unless you want to do it more than once. . .
Philip1231 said:

Very nice! What was the finish?

Oyyy.

BLO for color
Shellac to seal (sprayed)
4 coats satin WB lacquer (sprayed)
Paste wax applied with 0000 steel wool and then buffed out

I'd like to say it was a labor of love! I've really come to hate shellac... Its so fricking sticky and sanding it is impossible. Next time I spray I'm buying sanding sealer!
Nicely done. I don't think Shaker ever goes out of style.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Those are beautiful! Design and execution.

I need some in my house.

Do you have any sketch up drawings or plans you would be willing to share?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Martin S. said:

Those are beautiful! Design and execution.

I need some in my house.

Do you have any sketch up drawings or plans you would be willing to share?

Sure. Just PM me your email and I'll send you the file. its not as pretty as DaveR1's, but it's all components and I've pulled dimensions on nearly everything. You'll notice that there's a version in there where the two were joined side-to-side after building and then dressed with a single molding. I opted against that for purposes of movability.
Wow, those are stunning, from the design, to the wood, to the finish; and the knobs look great, too, being the right proportion for the piece. They look like something Becksvoort would have made.

John
Nice job Reed
Finishing was a pain but at least you've found your new favorite sandpaper
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Really nice work Reed. I love Shaker, but even saying that, those are very nice.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW