Enclosed Shaker Bookcases
Those look supper!! I like your knobs too.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
DallasStarter said:

... these big twins are going in my office here at home (once I paint it tomorrow...

darn Reed; you do all that nice work in fine wood and now you're going to paint it?!?!

J/K--I know you're painting the office itself--

Beautiful work. Those two cases are really stunning. You'll enjoy them for a long time.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Very well done sir! Just plain WOW!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
DallasStarter said:

[blockquote]Philip1231 said:

Very nice! What was the finish?

Oyyy.

BLO for color
Shellac to seal (sprayed)
4 coats satin WB lacquer (sprayed)
Paste wax applied with 0000 steel wool and then buffed out

I'd like to say it was a labor of love! I've really come to hate shellac... Its so fricking sticky and sanding it is impossible. Next time I spray I'm buying sanding sealer!

[/blockquote]

If possible, use vinyl sealer. If you like sanding sealer, you'll love vinyl sealer. Vinyl sealer is "closer" to the wood and much harder when cured. More durable to say the least. I'm not a huge shellac fan either.

Great job, btw!

Looks great! What brand of WB Lacquer did you spray?
Mike - thanks - the WB lacquer I see was EM6000 from Target Coatings. It's been recommended by Rusty and others here and I found it to be very forgiving of my (probably) amateurish spraying skills. I'd never used a WB topcoat before, so the milky look in the can and wet took some getting used to, but it dries nice and clear and smooth. I'd still rate it behind NC lacquer though for feel of the finish off the gun.

KC- I'm open to any sealer that is compatible with my topcoat and powders up nicely when sanded. Even with special sandpaper I still find shellac to be maddening. Is there a brand of vinyl sealer that you like to use? Is it compatible with all top coats? Does it have a fast dry time? Is there. Significant cost advantage over the topcoat manufacture's recommended sealer? Is it water or solvent based?

Everyone else- thanks for your kind and supportive thoughts. I'm happy with how these turned out and if I write down everything I feel like I learned from this project it would probably be its own thread!

Reed
You don't need a parachute to go skydiving unless you want to do it more than once. . .
Reed,

I have only used solvent based Pre-cat lacquer and vinyl sealer but I'm going to use a WB pre-cat on my next "big" project. I don't know if vinyl sealer is offered in a WB product but I'd be surprised if it isn't this day in age with all the new WB products.

As far as "powdering up" like NC sanding sealer; It doesn't powder up nearly as much as traditional sanding sealer because it's not as soft and it doesn't build like NC sanding sealers. This isn't a bad thing though, IMO. You don't have to sand anymore than you would with an NC sanding sealer, you're just not removing as much material so the volume of powder isn't there. It's still nice and smooth though and it's much harder/durable.

I know you can use vinyl sealer under a solvent based NC lacquer or a solvent based pre-cat lacquer. You shouldn't use NC sanding sealer under a solvent based pre-cat though as the sanding sealer is too soft and it can make your "harder" pre-cat finish more prone to cracking with seasonal wood movement. I'd also think it could make it more prone to denting.

Pre-cat is the only cabinet finish I will use on anything "big" that I really care about. I'm anxious to try the waterborne pre-cat on some built ins I'm planning in my house. I really don't want to evacuate while solvent based lacquers off gas.

I finished the kitchen cabinets in my old house with pre-cat and then rubbed them out to a soft sheen. Nearly everyone who spent anytime in our kitchen commented on how nice the finish was. My wife doesn't miss our old house but she does miss the cabinet finish....as do I.

That's really very nice.
Simply beautiful, great looking cases they are definitely classy.

Steve
Reed,
Wow! Excellent execution. I like the overall look and proportions, in particular the frame and panel sides. You mentioned Moser/ Shaker influences, I have Moser's Measured Shop Drawings and Building Shaker Furniture, both of which detail flat sided cases. I much prefer the added interest of frame and panel sides.

Now the knobs are a different story, I'm firmly entrenched in the mushroom camp. But far be it from me to start a knob discussion.

Great work. Congratulations.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone