The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn
157,634 views on SMC. Crazy.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(01-28-2018, 07:37 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: 157,634 views on SMC. Crazy.

SMC crowd puts up with the management over there, which I refuse to do.  But this does not detract from the draw of your project!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-28-2018, 07:37 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: 157,634 views on SMC. Crazy.

Shop has to be the envy (in a good way!) of every living woodworker. Keep the pics coming, Mike!

Doug
I still check on this thread every time I log in. Love it. A veritable how-to for putting together a sizeable shop. Dream project for many.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Finished hanging my binder bins up today. Each binder bin got 17 additional screws to beef it up and a cleat. took awhile to get each one staged. Lily also got a desk with overhead lighting by her whiteboard courtesy of a pair of 48" binder bins. Finishing the bins cleaned up 7 pallets total in the shop. Glad to have those off the floor. Also have been piecing some Ergotron Computer monitor keyboard arms together for some CNC machine builds I am working on.

[Image: MVIMG_20180211_182129_zpswysbgfnh.jpg]

[Image: MVIMG_20180211_190054_zpsfsqzy9hx.jpg]

[Image: MVIMG_20180202_192422_zpsdtwgnsmy.jpg]

"Mega-Shop" - looking good!

DT
Mike 

The answer to this question may already be in the thread somewhere but why do you have so many of these " binder bins". What are you storing that you need so many of these things

Thanks
(02-14-2018, 11:41 AM)Randy C Wrote: Mike 

The answer to this question may already be in the thread somewhere but why do you have so many of these " binder bins". What are you storing that you need so many of these things

Thanks

I wouldn't have any trouble filling those bins.  My concern would the weight on the walls in an Earthquake.  I might worry about the load even just sitting there
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-14-2018, 11:41 AM)Randy C Wrote: Mike 

Thanks

They were $2 ea, with lights. Cant build storage that cheap even with $3 a sheet marine grade plywood.

I only have 8 bins full so far.

On any wall I can stack them vertically and have a storage locker/ shelf unit, or horizontally and have wall task lighting and a shelf above the shelves.

I have TONS of metal lathe and mill tooling and shaper tooling etc I think will be perfect for some of these at a lower height.
We will have craft project stuff for girl scout tech classes.
I have a library of books and magazines. 
Basically anything not used all the time that needs to be out all the time, and anything I want covered.

(02-14-2018, 12:16 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I wouldn't have any trouble filling those bins.  My concern would the weight on the walls in an Earthquake.  I might worry about the load even just sitting there

Every 8' in each wall is a 6X6 (laminated treated to 6' above ground - stagger finger jointed to regular 2X6's above that) post buried 6' in the ground. All those at the top are connected on both sides by a 2X12. Those have 2X6's as wall girts on the outside attached to the posts  horizontally on the outside every 2'. The outside of that is skinned with the metal. Then horizontally between the posts, inside the posts, in the middle of the wall Girt, are Bookcased 2X6's that are kreg screwed to each wall girt top and bottom and kreg screwed (kinda toenailed) to each post. In between, at the 4' between the 8' posts, is a Center run 2X6, connecting each bookcased horizontal 2X6 to each other, from floor to the top of the 2X12 at the top. Then ALL the Inside gets skinned with double layers of 3/4" thick 7-ply Marine Grade plywood that is screwed into the posts and Center 2X6 and at least two of the horizontal Bookcased 2X6s. again that is skinned with 1.5" thick ply. Imagine the most elaborate Building torsion box you can think of and then double that.

Roof trusses are every 4. Those are braced by 12 runs of 2X4s and 2X6s. The ceiling and gable ends, including covering over all the attachment of the truss angles and the 1' over hangs are sprayed 3-4' of closed cell 2lb spray foam.

Add in about 6-7 miles of copper in various forms and gauges to tie it all together.