Remote for 3HP Dust Collector
I typo'd that first number...should have said Nema 2-15. Anyway, you know what you need to do. BTW, that pic will be useful to a lot of guys who think this is harder than it really is...much better than some of the other stuff I've seen. Your cad drawing is great as well, both really useful.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
On the way home I stopped by Home Depot and TRIED to find the correct 220V plugs

I looked and looked through the shelves there and wasn't able to find the correct style plug. It didn't help that it looked like the place was ransacked by the Huns. Nothing was in it's correct bin. I finally grabbed a hold of the guy working in that department and had him help me.

Even with photos of what I was looking for I was unsuccessful in conveying what I needed to the drone who was working there.

Here's the outlet

Here's one style plug that works:

And here's another:

I swear, I've had more intelligent conversations with my dog....

He ended up handing me the same ones that I just returned!! Rather than loose my temper, I ended up walking out. It's not his fault that he has no knowledge of electrical nomenclature and he's stationed in the ELECTRICAL SUPPLY AISLE!!!

Fred, you mentioned "Nema 2-15". Is that what these are called?

If not, can you give me the proper electrical terminology please so that when I ask someone I can say "I need a XXXX 220V Male plug and a XXXX 220V Female plug" and not have them look like I just spoke Klingon?
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Dom, sorry...I'm not a sparky either. The 2-15 isn't the one you want, it's doesn't have the ground. The ones you need (either of the ones you pic'd would work) are called Nema 6-15 (the first one) or Nema 6-20 (the second one). I screwed up when I grabbed my reference and only looked at the flat stabs, hence my goof (surprised someone didn't point that out). Anyway, HD has them. You just got a hold of someone who should be flipping burgers instead.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

Anyway, HD has them. You just got a hold of someone who should be flipping burgers instead.

I saw those Fred but was worried when I saw the 15amp rating. This is a 3HP DC and it pulls about 13 amps. And since this was on a 20 amp circuit I thought that a 20 amp would be the way to go. If you look at the yellow plug in my reply above you'll see the 20amp rating embossed in the plastic housing.

This is what I was looking for and wasn't able to find.

20 Amp 250-Volt Plug

About the "burger flipper".......after some thought I realized that I never should have even called him over. He reminded me of a guy who used to work in my department who would brag (out loud) about how high he got the previous night.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
So the Nema 6-20 is what you want. Can you order that on line and pick it up at the store? But Amazon has a few different brands. You might also check Lowes, although my local store doesn't have them. Otherwise, it might take an electrical supply.

Edit in: I was in my Lowes this morning, and they did indeed have that exact plug you linked at HD, for the same price. If you have one nearby you might take a look. Curious, the website showed it not stocked at my store.
Last in line

Just a plug for the Pass and Seymour plug (heh)

I recently made up a couple of 240v 12 amp extension cords and used P&S plugs. They are NICE. Instead of wrapping a screw like the cheaper plugs and sockets, P&S has wire clamp recesses making assembly much easier. They seem to be built and designed better too. This is compared to the ones on sale at about half the price. You'll pay more but I think it's a near lifetime plug for normal use.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Ok gents,
Before I went to the Home Depot near where I work I took the time to look on their website and copy down all the necessary information. Armed with this list I was able to find the two plugs I needed and was out in 15 minutes. God I love the Internet!!!

Here are the part numbers
  • Pass & Seymour NEMA 6-20P 20 Amp 250 Volt Plug, Model#: PS5466XCCV4, Internet #:202664477, Store SKU #:571800, $9.99
  • Pass & Seymour NEMA 6-20R Extra Hard Use Connector, 20 Amp 250 Volt, Model#: PS5469XCCV4, Internet #:100202254, Store SKU #:571865, $15.49

Now if you are wondering WHY I went through all this trouble its because I wanted to build a drop in place box that I could just plug and play. Of course, I still need to bypass the DC's magnetic switch. But that's not a huge deal.
See ya around,
Dominic
All DONE!!!

I rewired the grounds and included a lug to the chassis.

Then I installed the plugs I purchased this afternoon and mounted the entire assembly to a piece of plywood. That was attached to the studs above the DC.

I fired it up tonight and it worked GREAT! I didn't bother to bypass the DC switch just yet. I tried it with the switch in the ON position and it worked.

It was getting late (and COLD!) out in the shop so I called it a night. I will take some final photos tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped me out on this. Special thanks to Fred for the inspiration
See ya around,
Dominic
FINALLY! darn........
If you did it with the switch in the ON position and it worked then I don't think that you have a magnetic switch. If I remember correctly you have the Reliant 3HP DC, right? If so then it is not a magnetic switch, I believe.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."