Bowl 'Stitching' Technique
Jerry Kermode has a technique for using a biscuit joiner to cut slots, and then glue in 'stitches' to correct for cracks and defects in bowl blanks. Here's an example:

Does anyone know the details of how to do this? I've been messing around, but I don't think I have right.
Are you doing it and then finish turning?
I haven't done it yet, but yes. My thought is, mostly turn it down, cut the slot. But the slot has ends at an angle that I can't see, just wondering how to cut the pieces for the 'stiches' so I get a good fit.
If you shape your inserts with a radius the same as the cutter on the tool they will fit perfectly, right?
After you partially turn down the blank and cut the initial slots with the biscuit joiner, I would think that you would have to square the ends of the cuts with a chisel (1/8" most likely matches the thickness of that blade) so the insert will fit snugly. Then finish turning.
cams2705 said:

After I would think that you would have to square the ends of the cuts with a chisel (1/8" most likely matches the thickness of that blade) so the insert will fit snugly.

Yeah, I think that's the step I'm missing. I'll play with that idea. Thanks.
Frank
What do you use for the lace, ebony?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I like the affects and I to am wondering how it was done.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've just been playing. I'd probably use walnut.
It's a cool technique.

Biscuit cutter blades are, IIRC, 0.80 inches thick or there about, so I do not think a 1/8" chisel will work. That being said, I might try to make my own biscuit shaped bits to fill the biscuit slot. Should not be that hard to plane stock down until it is snug in the slot, them make a template of a biscuit and shape plugs to match the slots. No need to make them full ovals, just cut a strip as wide as a biscuit, round the end, cut it off, round the end, cut it off, rinse and repeat.
Glue the plugs in place then finish turning.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.