Cleaning Airless Sprayer Hose
I posted this in the Finishing Forum with no answers. Maybe it will be viewed by more here? this is the post.

I have always used latex material not a problem cleaning it all. However what is a good way to clean the 50 foot long hose when finished with enamel type paints? Just the hose alone holds a quart of fluid. Seems like it may take a gallon or two of thinner to flush it out completely if not more?
Bill
I don't know any other way then to run the cleaner through. I would take a couple of quarts and let it recycle for quite some time. Take 2 more quarts of clean stuff and run it through. I'm I would probably run another 2 quarts after that.

I've never used oil in mine so I'm just guessing based on latex cleaning.

I go overboard cleaning my hose. I didn't do it right once and I had to replace it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks John
Sounds like a good plan to me on running it thru several times. Based on that I think I will just use latex always.
Thanks,
Bill
Thinner, then leave it in the hose when you store it.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hasn't some clever company developed a hose pig that you can push through with compressed air? If not, here's your chance for fame and fortune. But here's a company that may have what you need.

Link

John
Back when I used oil based finishes, I had a system.

I had three types of thinner for cleaning. I kept each type in old gallon bottles(the plastic ones new thinner comes in) and labeled them 1, 2, and 3. I wound up with more #3 bottles because of the system. And even had bottles marked Old #3 and New #3.

To clean a brush(or sprayer), I used some of the decanted #3---letting it set for about 3 weeks caused most of the solids to sink to the bottom of the bottle. That left a partially diluted solution(usually yellow) which still had plenty of thinner capabilities. I would empty that amount into another #3 bottle marked Old 3.

Then I would use a #2 bottle which had only one use thinner in it. That would get most of the finish out of a brush and most out of a sprayer. That mixture got emptied into a New#3 bottle.

Then I used a small amount of new thinner and finished up just blowing the thinner out of the sprayer or a wash with Dawn on the brushes.

I have Purdy brushes that are 30 years old, still like new.

I seldom bought thinner much after getting that system working. Had about 9-10 gallon bottles for the thinner, tho.
Yes about used thinner. If you let it sit the paint will settle to the bottom.

Cleaning those hoses is really important. I think if I ever started using my airless sprayer for oil I would buy another hose.

I know my brother uses his system only with oil. If I have a chance I'll ask him about cleaning.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks John
Don't bother. I have decided to only use latex only. Thanks for your help
Regards,
Bill