Porter Cable Dovetail jig
These are some great tips and links! I have one too, and I've only done box joints so far. I had that episode of woodsmith saved on my DVR for a long time too! I need to get out there and give it a whirl.
Benny

Thanks for the tip on the location for the pins and tails. I am going to work with it this weekend. Have a bunch of scrap wood that I'm going to practice.
I have the larger PC Omnijig. As mentioned previously review the videos on You Tube are very helpful.
Start off small on a few projects such as small boxes. Use a softer hardwood such as poplar as used in the videos. The wood is way less expensive and can be painted with Old Fashioned Milk Paint, etc. Using expensive hardwoods can be done after confidence builds up.

The routers makes a big difference. Ones with fine screw depth adjustments really help. One of my routers is a Freud with an inexpensive router bit adapter (Freud to PC) used for straight bits. A PC 1001 is for dovetail bits. Both routers are dedicated to the jig. Using the jig with one router could be difficult due to the fine adjustments required.
Use standard size woods of your own or purchased over time. I find that popular as bought through local building houses is planed and has exact thicknesses-0.75-Look for wood with no warp or twist.
You should be able to cut 0.5 and 0.75 dovetails and box joints easily. My setup is on a tall about 40 inch dedicated bench.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I've been using mine for around a month now. Started out by using identical pieces of pine and my hardwood. Planed and sized. Dial in the settings on the pine before using it on the real project.