16/4 vs glued up 8/4 for workbench?
jteneyck said:

[blockquote]macpiano said:

Cherry in 16/4 is $10.95 a board foot. Cherry in 8/4 is $5.95 a board foot. So why would I go to all the trouble to flatten and glue up 8/4?

Maple in 8/4 is $5.50 a board foot.

I bought $600 worth of maple there about 2 years ago to make a countertop.

And yes I know what a board foot is. It is a 144 square inches multiplied by 1 inch.

Because you would save $5/BF.

John

[/blockquote]

Logical thought went out the door as soon as post one was made

We are looking for justification not logic
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

jteneyck said:

Cherry in 16/4 is $10.95 a board foot. Cherry in 8/4 is $5.95 a board foot. So why would I go to all the trouble to flatten and glue up 8/4?

And yes I know what a board foot is. It is a 144 square inches multiplied by 1 inch.

John

[/blockquote]

I honestly thought I was missing something when I first posted. I am glad you came to the same conclusion as I did.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

$60-70 extra for 16/4 over 8/4 is not a big deal for me. You have to understand I hate glueups. I already have some of the 16/4 board. I know some of you don't mind. We're not talking that many board feet.

I'm more concerned with the final product. The author glued up 8/4 and I can see the lamination. My original concern was the strength etc. and I think it's pretty well determined that both thickness can carry a house so to speak.

Thanks for all your input. I will be asking more questions later on other aspects of this workbench as I go along.
Quote:

I'm more concerned with the final product. The author glued up 8/4 and I can see the lamination.

It is a bench not even a furniture piece Using your logic I would be forced to burn my bench unceremoniously as the top is 100% made up of cutoffs and laminated into a slab.... And the base is part laminations and what would have been firewood...

Quote:

My original concern was the strength etc. and I think it's pretty well determined that both thickness can carry a house so to speak.

What you fail to understand however is that the lamination will have a better chance of being stable over the long haul.

you made up your mind and I am not going to change it

I hope time will.......
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I guess I'm kind of sorry I even asked for opinions. I had that big chunk of 16/4 cherry that's been sitting in my basement that I had purchased for another project and ended up not doing about 8 years ago.

So I've been thinking lately what would be a good project to use that with so I saw the Fine Woodworking Shaker bench and I thought that would a good project as I've been looking at workbench's over the past 6 months.

I've been making all kinds of stuff for everyone else and I wanted to do something for me. We don't need anymore furniture in the house. I'm 63 and retired a few months ago and was looking for something that would not only be functional but beautiful in it's own right. And it's something I would see every time I go in the shop.
so am I

You were looking for vilification and you did not get it.

it is obvious that you made up your mind long before you posted this question those who took a different path we took it there was room for debate

guess not

Sorry, I wasn't criticizing your decision, only pointing out that it costs more and isn't structurally any stronger than using a single piece of 8/4. But it's your bench and if it will give you pleasure both building and using it, as you planned with the 16/4 stock, then have at it.

Look forward to seeing pictures.

John
I'm with you although I would guess some people, like me would love to have that kind of cherry for furniture much less a bench.
Here on the left coast that would probably cost at least double if you could find it.
If love to see your build.
jteneyck said:

John

[/blockquote]

I must have missed the factor of how wide, and how long this 16/4 board needed to be? But if you make it an 8" wide board consistently, and say you just need 1 foot in length maybe this will clarify for the OP.

12/4 is effectively 4" thick x 8" wide, x 1 foot long. This would net you 2.67 bd.ft for a price at his stated prices (10.95 bd/ft at 16/4) of $29.20

8/4 is effectively 2" thick x 8" wide x 1' long. This would net you 1.33 bd/ft (yes half of your goal) for a price of $7.93 ($5.95 bd/ft @ 8/4) but you would need twice the units to make you 16/4 thickness so $7.93 x 2 = $15.86

Not sure what your glue cost is, but for each 1' of needed stock it looks to me you will save

$29.20
minus

equals a savings of $13.34 for each 1' of length @ 8" wide.

Sometimes bd/ft calculations can seem to be tricky. It's not just 12/4 is 10.00 and 6/4 is 5.12 then double the price of the 6/4 and it's just a few cents more than the price of 12/4. So if you say, Math sux use one of these
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
macpiano said:

$60-70 extra for 16/4 over 8/4 is not a big deal for me.
I'm more concerned with the final product.

Seems like that would have been enough info to calm things down. The only opinion that really counts is yours. Would like to see the final product.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.