Handcut DT ?
Bibliophile 13 said:

I use dividers and a small square to space them out, and it works pretty quickly. If I cut dovetails as often as Dave D. (above) does, I'd probably be doing them by eye as well.

FWIW, I also plane out the baseline. I know it's historically-correct to leave it in some places, but I don't like how it looks. So I get rid of it.

One of these days, maybe my way of doing it will be considered "historically correct."

Me, too.

But I do leave the baseline.
Peter

My "day job"
Peter Tremblay said:

[blockquote]Bibliophile 13 said:

I use dividers and a small square to space them out, and it works pretty quickly. If I cut dovetails as often as Dave D. (above) does, I'd probably be doing them by eye as well.

FWIW, I also plane out the baseline. I know it's historically-correct to leave it in some places, but I don't like how it looks. So I get rid of it.

One of these days, maybe my way of doing it will be considered "historically correct."

Me, too.

But I do leave the baseline.

[/blockquote]

Peter also tells me that the big gaps in his dovetails are period correct but I don't think you should be able to se light through your joinery

Pass the wood filler please
We can do this all day, Dave.

I was there the night that your DTs didn't even go together.
Peter

My "day job"
Wait a second...if you can't see through the dovetails, why am I wasting all this money on FWW magazines with tips to fix gappy joints...and I don't like leaving the base line...
For The Love Of Wood
The difference is I have evidence.

Exhibit #1 Is the dovetails from Peter's Bombe' which still sets in pieces waiting to be completed.

Exhibit #2 is the dovetails on my Bombe' chest I finished a few years ago. Oh and did I mention that we started at the same time. I will not bother to point out the complexity of compound dovetails compared to what you cut. Want to go another round

I can't believe that you used my own pictures against me.

Something this good shouldn't be done all at once!

Ok... I'm finished.
Peter

My "day job"
Peter Tremblay said:

Would it be appropriate for me to come into this thread to point out that you cut them wrong... by that I mean pins first.

So Peter you are openly admitting that you cut your DTs bass ackward, meaning tails first. Ohh, the horrors, and you a Man of the cloth

Dave cuts his correctly if he goes pins first

This is truly Hatfield's and McCoy's kinda stuff
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I dunno...Dave's seem kinda pointy compared to Peter's...is that a good thing?
For The Love Of Wood
I started this thread but embarrassed to show the DTs I've cut by hand. It's still a work in progress.

My photography & Photobucket skills are about where my DT cutting skills are, "not good". Click on the pic and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Jim
Dara said:

I dunno...Dave's seem kinda pointy compared to Peter's...is that a good thing?

My piece is a reproduction and that is how the original was built. That style dovetail was very common in Townsend and Goddard pieces also.