Handcut DT ?
I think your style of dovetails has to do with what you're trying to convey, either to yourself or to your client(or would be client). To me, symmetry is isn't particularly important, certainly not to the strength of the joint. Krenov talked about the potential of adding rhythm to the joint, an aesthetic factor. Accuracy is a big factor, speaking to your skill or caring. The conversation reminds me of when the back of a cabinet, for me, became as important as the front, not simply a sheet of luan ply hastily applied. Who's going to see it anyway???
Steve N said:

[blockquote]Peter Tremblay said:

Would it be appropriate for me to come into this thread to point out that you cut them wrong... by that I mean pins first.

So Peter you are openly admitting that you cut your DTs bass ackward, meaning tails first. Ohh, the horrors, and you a Man of the cloth

[/blockquote]

Hey listen, I have it on very good authority that Joseph taught Jesus to cut his dovetails tails first.

It's named after one of God's beautiful animals. Not only that but an animal that often symbolizes peace.

That and the entire joint is called "dovetails" it is not call "interlocking pins" or some other nonsense.

God's authority and the very name of the joint clearly illustrate what part should be cut first.
Peter

My "day job"
Dave Diaman said:

Oh and bye the way,

The mark of a good woodworker is not the absence of mistakes but their ability to fix mistakes.

When I'm done no one will ever be able to tell that there was a gap there.

No wood putty will be used either.
Peter

My "day job"
Peter Tremblay said:

[blockquote]Dave Diaman said:

Oh and bye the way,

The mark of a good woodworker is not the absence of mistakes but their ability to fix mistakes.

When I'm done no one will ever be able to tell that there was a gap there.

No wood putty will be used either.

[/blockquote]

The key part of that whole response is "when I'm done". I'm beginning to think I may have read something about you finishing this piece as one of the signs of the apocalypse.
Billy Graham said:

No pastor is perfect, of course—but if God has called someone to be a pastor and has sent them to serve a particular church, then they should be helped and encouraged in every way possible. The Bible says, "Who can lay a hand on the Lord's anointed and be guiltless?" (1 Samuel 26:9, NIV).

Does this mean pastors should always be above criticism—even if they neglect their responsibilities or otherwise are at fault? No, it doesn't—but most churches have ways of dealing with such matters through their ruling board or denominational structure. Paul reminded the Christians in Corinth that "everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way" (1 Corinthians 14:40).

So Peter is it OK if your dovetails are not "fitting"?
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Gary™ said:

So Peter is it OK if your dovetails are not "fitting"?

[/blockquote]

Ouch!

Getting personal.

Peter

My "day job"
Herebrooks said:

I think your style of dovetails has to do with what you're trying to convey, either to yourself or to your client(or would be client). To me, symmetry is isn't particularly important, certainly not to the strength of the joint. Krenov talked about the potential of adding rhythm to the joint, an aesthetic factor. Accuracy is a big factor, speaking to your skill or caring. The conversation reminds me of when the back of a cabinet, for me, became as important as the front, not simply a sheet of luan ply hastily applied. Who's going to see it anyway???

A look at Krenov's work reveals that most of his dovetails were fairly symetrical, at least as symetrical as eyeballing them can be. He didn't measure out his dovetails.

However, he also showed examples of tension and counter-tension in dovetails. Showing tension would have them closer together on the outside edges and wider apart in the middle. The opposite, of course, is true for counter-tension.

It's a small detail but combined with the other small details he incorporated, it's what made his work exceptional. (He never used plywood for drawer bottoms or cabinet backs, either. )

BTW, Krenov cut the pins first as did Tage Frid and probably every other cabinetmaker trained in European schools or under the apprentice system.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
Anyone had experience laying out and cutting "Compound Angled Dovetails"?  Wanted to use that method in making a "splayed" food carrying tray/server.
(02-18-2017, 03:14 PM)honda Wrote: Anyone had experience laying out and cutting "Compound Angled Dovetails"?  Wanted to use that method in making a "splayed" food carrying tray/server.

I haven't, but there's a detailed article in PWW #203, April 2013, starting on page 32.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Dave,
Your dovetails look good but your drawers are all messed up - they aren't flush.  The third drawer sticks way out at the bottom and the fourth drawer sticks way out at the top!  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Lonnie

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  
Big Grin