fence - thoughts on this design
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDc0WDYzMw==/z...880000500F
John T.
mound said:

as an aside, regarding footers for the fence-posts.. I'd plan concrete for the corner and ends, but is it needed for all the posts in the field?

I thought of doing a fence like that but would cost a fortune with the hundreds of feet of fence.

Wind loading is less than a typical fence because of the top panels.

As to posts.. Always concrete them in. Here its hard to get posts over 8' so you only end up with 2' in the ground and wind can be a problem in the open with those posts.

The best material for fence posts is 2 3/8" drill pipe. It's cheaper than galvanized posts anywhere there is or was drilling. However it's very heavy.... Drill pipe is cheap because it's not recyclable due to being slightly radioactive after drilling through the earth. It's NORM which isn't an issue and the pipe is always below the standard but recyclers still won't take it because of fear.

Wood posts (here) are considered a 5 year post then you start having to maintain them. Steel lasts for many years.
Beautiful design. I did a couple of CNC'd mailboxes last year in cedar with 45deg lock miter joints. (100% cut on the CNC.) I wanted them reasonably tight around the post but allowing for some expansion for the treated post to prevent the joints from blowing out. A power planer was very helpful on-site.

Where did you get the fence design plan?
Mound, I am still at our winter place in Florida and all my woodworking mags are in Lewiston. I am pretty sure the workbench issue survived the 2 moves I have had since I built that fence. If you can wait a couple weeks, I will be back north around the middle of April and would be happy to loan you the copy. I probably have a picture that shows the fence at least in the background but it is on my wife's computer and I will have to look for them. I'll post them when I find them.

As for the fence post spacing, I didn't find it inconvenient to set the posts as I went and completely negated the need for spacers. Also the fence panel ensures the post is plumb. Ken
Think about any bug issues you might have for any wood touching the ground. At least, out here, wood that touches the ground is eaten in a couple of years.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
@JTTHECLOCKMAN - Nice fence, is that Vinyl or wood?

@Robert Adams - This design could use an 8' 4x4 and still go 4' under-ground - notice how the box post treatment extends higher than the 4x4.
Drill-pipe, perhaps encased in wood might be a good idea, but the look of exposed pipe posts would not be very attractive I think. I figured I'd wrap the 4x4 posts in a flashing before burying them in concrete.

@Miser - nice mailbox post!

@SCMedLion -I found the plan online Here - Popular Mechanics

@Ken Vick - sure, would love to see the design you used, no hurry. If I made pre-made all the panels, it certainly would make sense to set the posts as I went to ensure proper spacing, would elliminate a variable at least.

@cputnam - western red cedar holds up well against bugs right? I'd probably keep a inch or two of clearance below the fence anyway.
Neither cedar nor redwood have held up when the wood hit the ground, or worse, got buried. Post should be either: 1) - buried in concrete, or 2) - attach ed to a steel post that has been driven into the ground.

All IMO and YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I see you also live in snow country. I am South of Buffalo, so we get a bit more, but I think it still something you want to consider. With the solid bottoms, the wind will have to lift to go over the fence, thus dropping the snow in drifts on the downwind side. Depending on where you need the fence, this may or may not be an issue for you.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil said:

I see you also live in snow country. I am South of Buffalo, so we get a bit more, but I think it still something you want to consider. With the solid bottoms, the wind will have to lift to go over the fence, thus dropping the snow in drifts on the downwind side. Depending on where you need the fence, this may or may not be an issue for you.

A bit more is an understatement! I never saw this in my neighborhood:

Good point though, it is something to think about.. I may also modify the design a bit so the panels aren't solid, rather, have a gap between each "picket" - to let wind and light pass through. LOML will be the decider on that point